Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

drop of power - have you experienced it?

MrAl

I didn't know in which forum I should post it so I thought I am going to post it here!

I have huge problem that is haunting me since I started to work out seriously (about 1 year ago!) and I don't know what to do! I need to add that I have always done martial arts and have been active since I was a kid.

I train 2 times a week at a gym class (tumbling and crossfit) for 2 hours each and do strength 3 times a week at home for about 1 hour. Then I add some tumbling and stretching at home whenever I feel like it, usually 4 times a week for 1 hour.

When I am in training, I always feel super energized. On some days I feel like I could tumble for 10 hours constantly! I also feel really strong. This great feeling stays for 2 weeks or so. I eat well during this time (mostly whole grain bread, chicken, low fat curd cheese, fruit, nuts...) and drink plenty of water. The rest of the day I am sitting, because I work in an office and I sleep 7-9 hours at night.

But then, when I have a day off it starts. I feel weak and tired. My whole body feels like it is a little shivering from the inside and I feel like I couldn't hold a pen. And sometimes when it starts I crave for sweets. I usually eat them, because I think maybe my body need it. But I have put on 7lbs over the last few weeks already!

No matter what I do or what I try, it's not getting any better. I tried working out, jumping the trampoline, going for a relaxed walk...nothing help! After a week or so, everything is ok again. Then I feel energized again. But it's so annoying and it is happening more often than in the past and is really hindering my progress!

I am currently in the same situation. I already had sort of a sweet attack last Sunday. Then I rested the whole day. During the week it was quiet fine, I didn't felt super energized but it was ok. But since 3 daysI feel so weak I couldn't do a single pull up!

Has anyone experienced something similar? 

Alessandro Pantanella

I don't want over simplify it but it sounds like you are over training.

Also I don't see any vegetables in the food you posted. Are you eating enough calories?

I would research about adrenal fatigue and try to cut the workouts to 3 or 4 days a week trying to avoid metcons and focusing mainly on Strength.

I was training 6 to 7 days a week around 1, 1.5h sessions and even if I was OK I was always tired and wasn't progressing much till i dropped it to 4 times.

The body doesn't have unlimited recovery ability. Once you feel better (after few weeks or months) you could try to get back to your full schedule for awhile.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 3

I don't want over simplify it but it sounds like you are over training.

Also I don't see any vegetables in the food you posted. Are you eating enough calories?

I would research about adrenal fatigue and try to cut the workouts to 3 or 4 days a week trying to avoid metcons and focusing mainly on Strength.

I was training 6 to 7 days a week around 1, 1.5h sessions and even if I was OK I was always tired and wasn't progressing much till i dropped it to 4 times.

The body doesn't have unlimited recovery ability. Once you feel better (after few weeks or months) you could try to get back to your full schedule for awhile.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your answer! Yes I thought about Overreaching...but how is that possible? I don't train more than I did before! And so many of my friends who are far less in shape than I am train more!

What gets "overtrained"? The central nervous system of too many new things like flips and tucks? Or the muscles (I am never really sore)....

Alessandro Pantanella

I'm not an expert but there are many factors to be considered. As you mentioned too many new movements could overload the nervous system.

Stress, sometimes you don't notice it but may be more stressed than before, little problems a work, relationships, etc...

Also some people are more sensitive to season change.

A virus...

Difficult to tell but rest, plenty of vegetables, low coffee, and relaxing your mind will for sure help.

Also if you get too nervous about your performance it will make it worst.

It's in our human beings nature to have ups and downs.

Once you feel better try to increase your loads (quantity of excercise) very slowly and listen to your body

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Pantanella

PS: your body composition and skills improve while resting not while training. If you don't give you're body time to recover and become stronger you'll hit a wall

• Upvote 2

I'm not an expert but there are many factors to be considered. As you mentioned too many new movements could overload the nervous system.

Stress, sometimes you don't notice it but may be more stressed than before, little problems a work, relationships, etc...

Also some people are more sensitive to season change.

A virus...

Difficult to tell but rest, plenty of vegetables, low coffee, and relaxing your mind will for sure help.

Also if you get too nervous about your performance it will make it worst.

It's in our human beings nature to have ups and downs.

Once you feel better try to increase your loads (quantity of excercise) very slowly and listen to your body

Thank you...I will definitely try to avoid it next time!

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Haimann

Are you deloading properly?

This is the most common error (aside from not paying attention to nutrition) i find when people consult me (Strength Training wise, am a sort of a newbie to GST).

A drop in Volumen of about 50% every 4th week should do the trick. IF you didnt do this before you will be amazed about the Progress.

You should also slow down the metcons... Generelly speaking i think one should'nt do skippers aside from special preparation for the opens or so... Short strength focused WOD will Bring you more in the longterm...

CF coaches tend to forget this or ignore it due to the Natur of the class system....

WitnessTheFitness

Sometimes rest is the best medicine; deloading is very useful, and making sure that you're not over-training. The best progress I've made is usually following a week of resting and taking it easy.

This is a constant with people who workout regularly. I wouldn't call it over training because usually that requires at least three weeks of recovery but you are definitely coming close. Your program sounds intense, the more you advance the less you will be able to keep intensity at a constant level.  For example when I was working adv tuck planche I could train it 4-5 times a week.  When I transitioned to straddle I can only work it 1-2 a week, but I keep working the easier variations.  

Get used to it and listen to your body and rest.  I have pushed through too much fatigue and pain and injured myself seriously in the past.  Real progress is measured in years.

Also it sounds like maybe you are not getting enough fats and carbs in your diet.  When you do have an off day or week consume a surplus of all macro nutrients, but don't over do it, u will gain weight.