Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HS alignment in HS walking

Biren Patel

Biren Patel

Hi guys,

So, just some playing around after my H1 stuff, I want to start learning to walk in HS. This question I have is, is it expected for alignment to be maintained during walking? I've seen in Coach Sommer's old HS obstacle video that the student breaks into a poor line, which I am just assuming is perfectly acceptable since it's a gb video haha.

So, yes maintain good alignment during walk? or no, it is okay to have some rib flaring and such? Obviously I would think spreading the legs, breaking the line in knees, and super-banana arching is all bad, but where do you draw the line?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Alessandro Mainente

The alignment is the same as standing handstand. hollow and elevation.

Rajan Shankara

A nice straight line makes going forward easier, more relaxed walking. Feet forward in an arch means you over balance and cant maintain as much, then stepping forward is rushed and you get stressed palms and stuff. My experience anyways. HS walks are super great

• Upvote 1

Biren Patel

Thanks guys for the tips!

So, in this video, why would Coach allow arching? Would it perhaps be due to the increased difficulty of obstacle courses over traditional HS walking.

Matthew Barrett

It looks like they're playing around.  I don't think they normally walk the floor in their HS with that form.

They earned their right play it would seem!  Must have been a productive day in the gym.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

His students are so proficient in correct bodyline handstand that they can adjust the form to move along the obstacles. before do that a beginner must focus on correct alignment so that it becomes an habit. then move forward.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Thanks guys for the tips!

So, in this video, why would Coach allow arching? Would it perhaps be due to the increased difficulty of obstacle courses over traditional HS walking.

Probably a combination of the difficulty of the course and the youth of the athlete. 

• Upvote 1