Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straight arm planche push-up

Brian Li

Thanks, I didn't know the name of the gymnast. Why is this skill banned when other static holds like L-sit and Manna are still allowed in PB routines? Was this skill pretty common back then? I found out that Jay Thornton is 5'10" and It is apparently a clip from the following video.

Coach Sommer

- Thanks for the memories. Jay was certainly big for a gymnast and if you browse through some of the other videos of the '96 Trials, you will also see coverage of Jair Lynch. Jair went on to make that '96 Team (he was also on the '92 Team) and earn a silver medal on parallel bars at the Games.

Wwwaaayyy back when, I was assistant coach in the late 80's for the program that produced Jair before he headed off to Stanford University.

- I would not say common, but you did see the swallow occassionally. Lance Ringnald ('88 Olympic Team member and an alternate for '92) also used to use it.

Lsits and press handstands are still allowed, however mannas, planches and swallows etc are not. A number of years ago the rules for parallel bar routines were adjusted so that majority of a routine is composed of swinging elements; not strength elements.

This allows each of the men's apparatus to showcase a different type of movement or strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

what makes my astonished is his press to handstand from L-sit!! i love it!

David  Hurwitz

I spoke to Jay when I needed customer support at American Gymnast. He was very nice and very helpful.

• 1 year later...
Alessandro Mainente

Some years ago he was in the Italian national team for vault. now he focused on pure strength and he is a beast.

His physical preparation during the young developmental stage on gymnastics leads a superior physical abilities. he is able to manage intensity and frequency that normal people cannot do. compared to the general calisthenic movement in italy, he had impressive gain in therms of strength. 

• Upvote 3