Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rotation of torso in handstand

Michael Hourigan

Michael Hourigan

A few of my training partners have recently noticed a slight rotation of the torso in my handstand. This has come to be more noticeable after and injury to the rotational musculature of the shoulder. I sustained that injuring doing Jiu-jitsu to be clear. I'm still not 100% convinced it's tightness in the shoulder rotators. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any clues as to why? In the photo I've attached you can see the far side leg slightly and you can also see the far side spinal erector slightly, both should not be visible. 

Any other comments on alignment are welcome as well. 

photo1_zps7d7ca951.jpg

Mikael Kristiansen

The issue is quite small. You might be placing your weight slightly differently because of the injury and habit. Rotators do affect your handstand quite a lot since they are what keeps your humerus stable. The shoulder is also a very complex joint where tightness, weakness or habitual patterns can affect your placement.  You might benefit from giving it some attention when balancing to try to even it out, so film yourself and try to feel what you need to do to get there.

Otherwise it looks good. Shoulders are open, and, correct me if im wrong, it looks like you have a bit of elbow hyperextension, something which usually is good for handstands. You stay hollow and the muscle work in your shoulder area looks correct.

The press needs some work. Try to bring your shoulders into line as your legs get to 90 degrees, then close the legs. Now your shoulders are in front as you approach 90, and you end up arched as you close your legs. From what I have seen, this tendency to different degrees is quite common with press handstand in gymnastics. Im no expert on gymnastics, but I wonder if this is due to imperfect technique/lack of shoulder flex/planche strength compensation, or if it actually has a purpose. I can imagine that this way of closing the handstand position can have benefits on certain aparatus such as high bar or parallel bars where you are working with the arch/hollow dynamic to generate momentum and straightening the shoulders and bringing the feet into position at the same time could be good for swings.

Michael Hourigan

Thank you Handbalancer for your detailed feedback. I will bring more consciousness to the rotation in practice. I feel like it should be a fairly easy fix with more attention.

As for the press. I've been struggling with this concept for a little while. Will more thoracic flexion enable me to push my shoulders back into alignment faster? I feel like I might be a little bit planched (not sure if I'm using the term correctly) as the shoulder are definitely too closed as I approach 90 degrees. So I'm thinking more of a rounding of the upper back will enable me to press back into alignment faster because the shoulders will be in a more open position from the start.

Benjamin Witkowski

I can't really comment on the press because the I was watching the guy on the right breakdancing just off the screen.

How many people on these forums also train Jiu Jitsu?  I feel like it come up a lot.  What did you get hurt doing?

Michael Hourigan

Kinda a freak accident. My arm got stuck in an awkward positions doing an underhook from on top of half-guard. My training partner squeezed the shit out of it and it sublucated. 

Benjamin Witkowski

I have no idea what you just said.

But I hope you feel better and it heels.

Michael Hourigan

OK translate: some guy popped my arm out.
It's on the mend now thanks mate :)

Michael Hourigan

press focusing on more flexion in the thoracic. It's a bit better than last time but still a way to go. Thanks again handbalancer. Oh and a pretty girl swinging on rings.