Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handbalancers -> Handbalancing 'routine'?

Shia

Hi guys. I currently lift at the gym but have been enjoying handstands, etc thoroughly and want to get into handbalancing and handbalancing strength

I was wondering if you guys use routines or just practise daily/every other dayt whateer you want for an hour or two?

Im still gonna keep a day where I do some weighted chins and pistols squats just to maintain my mass, but 'strength' training isnt for me really

Would appreciate advice!

- My current level is basically stil learning the freestanding handstand. Can hold it for about 5-10 seconds atm!

Mikael Kristiansen

Before focusing any more specifically on handbalancing, get your handstand dead consistent, aligned and with good endurance. If you want to work towards complex balancing you will need to build very good technique from the bottom up, so be ready to put lots of work into it. This is your first focus before getting into other balances. Spend some days a week working on it and let your body adapt to the work and increase the work as you get better. 

There is a drastic difference in training to learn handstands and the basic skills connected to it and actually working on advanced balancing. First off, the frequency of training, needs to be much higher and thus your work capacity is required to be pretty high as well. Once you are at the level where you work on 1 arm and the like, you will probably spend at least 5 days a week training it, but this amount of work should be built up over the years so for now ease into it and spend time perfecting 2 arm handstand and press handstands.

• Upvote 2

Before focusing any more specifically on handbalancing, get your handstand dead consistent, aligned and with good endurance. If you want to work towards complex balancing you will need to build very good technique from the bottom up, so be ready to put lots of work into it. This is your first focus before getting into other balances. Spend some days a week working on it and let your body adapt to the work and increase the work as you get better. 

There is a drastic difference in training to learn handstands and the basic skills connected to it and actually working on advanced balancing. First off, the frequency of training, needs to be much higher and thus your work capacity is required to be pretty high as well. Once you are at the level where you work on 1 arm and the like, you will probably spend at least 5 days a week training it, but this amount of work should be built up over the years so for now ease into it and spend time perfecting 2 arm handstand and press handstands.

Thank u for the great response. I'll focus on my handstand and endurance atm then once I've got that I'll move onto press handstands.

Is there a prerequisite for learning press handstands? I.e. is there a general rule of thumb of how long I should be able to hold a freestanding handstand before working on the press?

Douglas Wadle

You do need significant strength and mobility for press handstands.  It's probably based more on those issues than your handstand capacity.  Coach recommends F2 completion prior to working press handstands, as much for mobility sake as for strength.  I can easily recommend H1, H2 (press handstands), and the F series to accomplish these goals safely and effectively.

• 2 weeks later...
Rajan Shankara

I can easily recommend H1, H2 (press handstands), and the F series to accomplish these goals safely and effectively.

Ditto, my handstand everything skills got supercharged once started H1. I would have never thought of strengthening the fingers.