Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DentonConteh

DentonConteh

Hi guys

I am currently training for the Victorian. At the moment I have nearly achieved a good form P-bar forearm assisted Victorian (been training it for 2 months) right now Im just making sure my hips and feet are in line with the P-bars. Once I get it perfect I will then lessen the assistance of my forearms by going on the edge of the P-bars so that half my forearms assist and so on. As that gets easier I hope to perfect it with only My hands and a little support with the wrists

Here is the video footage of Sai Ngo's P-bar Victorian  (His Victorian is at 1.11). My objective is to achieve this first. Once I do that I will work my way up to achieve it on the rings one fine day

Be sure to share any tips or anything. I will be delighted :)

Alessandro Mainente

The victorian demonstrated here is far more easy then the normal victorian and this is not a good approach sumply because you are not performing the same pattern, victorian has a larger grip involving more the lats, more the posterior delts , the hollow body position etc. first of all how is you hollow body?

• Upvote 1

DentonConteh

Yeah ofc it is but I still think it would be a good progression to work up towards it because of the body angle and position. Yeah my hollow back is actually quite decent as I am able to perform things like the full planche in a hollow position 

DentonConteh

I am also able to adjust the width of the P-bars as I am using the gymnastics ones

Alessandro Mainente

in mean hollow bod on the floor facing the ceiling. decent is reductive, can you perform at least 70-80 hollowbody rocks in a row?

unfortunately work using different arms positioning it's not best way simply because you are not progressively stimulating the correct muscles. it's like learn the planche with wide grip and pretend to master it with shoulders grip,, it's a different activation. it's not a reasonable approach. when a solid bodyline is achieved and is learned the correct arm positioning you can manage the lever of the body in different ways  simple because you can build up progressively the strength in the same regions. no reasons here to manage the arms position.

DentonConteh

Yeah I can perform those hollow body rocks, I can do at least 100. My core is great as I had a gymnastics background in my younger years

...victorian has a larger grip involving more the lats, more the posterior delts , the hollow body position etc.

Wouldn't the wider grip make it involve less lats and more rear delts?

Biren Patel

I think judging by your twitter handle and youtube, I would assume it would be better to start victorian training after you get your iron cross, you are too high. Although, I don't know if iron cross is a prereq for victorian. it makes sense.

Don't take offense either, but your hollow body is not as great as you think! It needs work! And also your planche is wrong :| And your back lever :/ ok I'm gonna stop now

DentonConteh

I think judging by your twitter handle and youtube, I would assume it would be better to start victorian training after you get your iron cross, you are too high. Although, I don't know if iron cross is a prereq for victorian. it makes sense.

Don't take offense either, but your hollow body is not as great as you think! It needs work! And also your planche is wrong :| And your back lever :/ ok I'm gonna stop now

LOL dw my iron cross is a lot closer now that video was in december so ofc after 3 months it would have improved :P, and all those videos you saw like for instance the competition, or the older ones, was when I was fatigued or simply because I was new to the movements. When Im fatigued for planche, my back tends to arch however, when Im actually in top condition they are nearly at perfect from, especially my full planche, my longest good form planche is 8 seconds with hollow back and locked arms. Plus Ive only been doing street workout for 5 months so ofcourse I need to make some improvements but from what your saying, its not that bad. If I was you I would sub to my channel to lookout for my progress tbh, got some new videos coming out :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx9UgGsQO0NIdFX6V6FOq5w

I am currently training with one of the best calisthenics athletes in the UK (Ranjit Bhachu) he was impressed with my strength so we now train regularly

Joshua Slocum

You could try doing victorian board presses. Like maltese board presses, but upside-down. 

Upside-down planche leans will probably help, too. 

DentonConteh

You could try doing victorian board presses. Like maltese board presses, but upside-down. 

Upside-down planche leans will probably help, too. 

Thanks for the advice

Alessandro Mainente

Wouldn't the wider grip make it involve less lats and more rear delts?

it depends if you consider the function of the rear delts. the real real delts activation is achieved (talking about EMG activation) by bent forward (90°) side arms raise, or in a large rows while you try to open the arms straight to the side, this because the rear delts work as external rotators. on the other side the lats are internal rotator and you involve them everytime you try to work against shoulders flexion (fl and vic), so as you increase the grip you are increasing the leverage on the lats. of course these is a little component of rear delts, but the movement is to much far from lateral raise.

for the rest the cross you demonstrated does not have a correct position.

DentonConteh

I will be taking down what everybody is saying (Thanks guys), however that cross I demonstrated was 3 months ago and since then i have been training it hard, I will be expecting a proper cross hold in a month or 2 :P

DentonConteh

I will be practicing victorian on P-bars, wide and narrow as I am able to adjust the width once I master it on P-bars I will then move on to practicing it on the rings because I know it is a big step however I am not actually a gymnast, I do street workout so I would rather get it on P-bars and then move it on to rings in the future as I am quite new to rings, only been training on rings for 3/4 months and I am not far of from achieving an Iron Cross

Coach Sommer

Gentlemen,

You have given him the proper advice and at his stage of development (celebrated by street work out standards; but substandard by gymnastics standards) he doesn't understand why things should be done in a certain order.  He will understand later, once he has run into the unavoidable roadblocks he has decided to place in his own path.  

Unfortunate, but it is what it is.  Let's move along.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

LOL dw my iron cross is a lot closer now that video was in december so ofc after 3 months it would have improved :P, and all those videos you saw like for instance the competition, or the older ones, was when I was fatigued or simply because I was new to the movements. When Im fatigued for planche, my back tends to arch however, when Im actually in top condition they are nearly at perfect from, especially my full planche, my longest good form planche is 8 seconds with hollow back and locked arms. Plus Ive only been doing street workout for 5 months so ofcourse I need to make some improvements but from what your saying, its not that bad. If I was you I would sub to my channel to lookout for my progress tbh, got some new videos coming out :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx9UgGsQO0NIdFX6V6FOq5w

I am currently training with one of the best calisthenics athletes in the UK (Ranjit Bhachu) he was impressed with my strength so we now train regularly

Wtff you train with Ranjit Bhachu??? Mann you're a REALLY lucky guy !!! i'm a SW trainee too and I really wished I had chance to workout with one of the top athletes! May I ask what his training looks like? What do you guys do?

DentonConteh

Wtff you train with Ranjit Bhachu??? Mann you're a REALLY lucky guy !!! i'm a SW trainee too and I really wished I had chance to workout with one of the top athletes! May I ask what his training looks like? What do you guys do?

Haha yeah man I train with him almost every week, even trained with him yest :P and what we do is we  cover everything in one training session, endurance reps, weighted sets, freestyle holds such as, planche, front lever etc all, he doesnt have a routine, what he does is he goes to the park, does static holds for like 15 mins, then he will do 5x5x5 sets of 5x15x10 and those sets involve muscle ups, straight into dips and straight down to pull ups, we usually do that weighted,  we repeat that a couple of times, then we move back on to strength holds again, the thing that makes it challenging is that we are performing strength moves as clean as possible whilst we are fatigued from the weighted endurance sets but what he says is thats when the strength moves really count because if you can do it when your fatigued then you can create an endurance mixed with strength holds routine, and thats how he basically trains. Mixes everything in one training session, not keen on routines, we just go beast mode ;)

DentonConteh

Wowww pretty nice indeed!!! I might Send you private messages I'm really interested in knowing more about your workouts :)

Btw do you guys train with rings or only bars?

Yeah man, and for sure its ok man

mostly train on bars but we do train on the rings a few times :)

DentonConteh

Ranjit can almost iron cross, we have worked on it a few times and he can pretty much maltese on the rings aswell