Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Everything below 90 degrees is rest"?

ForzaCavaliere

ForzaCavaliere

I can't remember which thread, but somebody at some point mentioned that everything below 90 degrees in HLL is rest, which is why the L-V Leg Lifts are harder than full ROM. 

And it's true, it is harder. 

But does that mean HLL in the L-V category should be trained over full ROM. Same with, say, bicep curls, should they just be lowered to 90 degrees flexion and then back to top? And squats, etc. 

Sorry if I seem silly. 

Also, these either/or situations are silly, but I'm still curious so if only 1 range of motion could be selected for a specific exercise, should it be 90degree (more difficult) or full ROM?

Full ROM is better. It is only easier if you explode out from the bottom to generate momentum, but full ROM is harder without the momentum.

Connor Davies

I find barbell squats to be easier if I got ATG (although it kills my lower back...)

I think it's because at the bottom I'm resting on the support structure of my body (bones, joints, tendons ect) rather than having to absorb momentum and redirect my energy simply with my muscles like in a parallel squat.

But then something like dips is a different story.  I can easily crank out 10 of them if I go to parallel, but I can only get 3 full ROM, and the last one is a grind.

GoldenEagle

No. Time under tension is still a factor until you reach the starting point and get ready to begin another rep.

Redwan Haque

I find barbell squats to be easier if I got ATG (although it kills my lower back...)

You're doing something wrong then...

If you're going ATG, I assume you're doing high bar. You shouldn't be feeling this in your lower back much at all. Don't lose tension in the hole.

Connor Davies

You're doing something wrong then...

Yes I'M AWARE OF THAT.  I've got pretty decent flexibility, I can deficit deadlift with a snatch grip FFS, I just don't get how people can squat ATG without rounding at the lower back.

Mad respect for those guys.

ForzaCavaliere

This question is mostly in the context of Hanging Leg Lifts, but I just realised why the L-V variation is seemingly more difficult. 

GoldenEagle said TUT is a factor and that's correct, when you do L-V there are no breaks so it appears harder due to endurance issues. Full ROM is better as stated by B1214N. It would be more difficult were it not for the small rest given at the bottom of the rep while completely vertical. 

Perhaps the best would be to combine the two simply by adding a pause at horizontal for regular HLL.

Thanks for the answers all.

• Upvote 1

Rafal Zmuda

I think that movement from bottom to horizontal is more from your hips and iliopsoas rather than from your abs. if you want that full ROM it's best to pause at L-position to remove any momentum. But I prefer L-to-V to get the most of isometric contraction of abs (TUT).