Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Routine Help

Ashok Raju Kothapalli

Ashok Raju Kothapalli

Hi Guys,

The following is my routine and i would like some inputs from you

Everyday

Hollow body holds (the basic progression with chin tucked in and legs straight with hips at 90 degrees) 6 sets of 30 seconds

Handstands with back to wall 6 sets of 30 seconds

Alternate days

Pullups 5 sets of 4

5 sets of 7 inverted rows

I have a few questions on the above

firstly i dont seem to be making progress into a freestanding handstand I still have to take support from the wall, I dont know what I am doing wrong I dont get fatigued at all. It seems to be a balance or alignment issue or maybe core strength.

Should I go for Handstand One ? If yes should i continue with hollow body holds and how should i integrate them into Handstand one or does HS already have it in the program?

I have been doing Handstands for a year now and am kind of disappointed that i havent gotten a freestanding one yet, and also what is the best way to do hollow body holds is doing it everyday too much?

And what should i do to make my remaining routine better for strength gains ?

The truth is I dont know what i want to do strengthwise I am a bit confused I am just working on back strength.

Thanks In Advance

GoldenEagle

Answer 1: Just start with H1.

H1 covers Wrist conditioning, Hollow body hold, shoulder mobility, hollow body hold, and more.

Assuming you follow the course outline with the same diligence you have been with your own work out. You will have a 2 minute free standing handstand by the end of course.

Answer 2: Without seeing what your body position looks like it is hard to tell what you need to work on. Going off of what you have stated, I can give you three pieces of advice. 1)Switch your handstand practices from back to wall to chest to wall. 2) Start doing "Handstand Shrugs" (IE: Scapular elevations while on your hands) Doing this will work your upper and middle trapezious, serratus anterior muscles, and latissimus dorsi 3. Grab one of your waist belts and start doing "Shoulder dislocates"

The chest to wall handstand practice, shoulder shrugs, and shoulder dislocates are part of H1.

Ashok Raju Kothapalli

Thanks...I will post a video

btw i have done back to the wall handstands for a really long time in fact that is how i started.

Connor Davies

If that's genuinely your strength training routine, I would strongly suggest buying F1.  Incomplete isn't even the word for what you're doing.

I'm not saying this to be insulting, because I've genuinely had worse routines in the past, but dude.... 

Also when you say hips at 90 degrees during hollows, do you mean like the top position of a prone leg raise?  Because that's not really the point of the hollow, and you should lower your feet closer to the ground.

If you really need help with your programming, I can write you a lil' essay.  But I guarantee, H1 and F1 will serve you better than any attempt at programming you may make.

Ashok Raju Kothapalli

ok...I am hesitant to learn from books since i wont be sure about my technique or form I want someone to monitor me and let me know when i am making mistakes

I am considering joining a gymnastics class in portland, do you think this is a good idea? are there any good gymnastics coaches in portland for adults?

In the forums that come with F1/H1, the whole community will monitor your form, if you post videos for form-check :)

Connor Davies

ok...I am hesitant to learn from books since i wont be sure about my technique or form I want someone to monitor me and let me know when i am making mistakes

The courses available here are internet based, with video demonstrations for each exercise.

Joseph Carbone

Get both F1 and H1. ypu can't go wrong. The programing termplate, forum support and embedded videos are second to none. You will be challenged and humbled at the same time. Furthermore, you will make steady progress as long as you are consistent in your work effort. Coach Sommer has provided the tool, exceptional one at that, now it is up to you to use it in the most productive fashion.

The results for me over the last five months have included strength gains as well as improved mobility. Progress in each area has been varied, but moving foreard at various levels.

My advice to you would be to "Just Do It" You will not regret it.

Ashok Raju Kothapalli

I am actually interested to know if in-person coaching by a gymnastics coach would be better than online courses such as F1? IF yes then can anyone suggest a good gymnastics coach for adults in portland. I am not interested in strength as much as i am in learning gymnastics skills whether they build strength or not is not my primary concern

Connor Davies

Bare in mind strength provides an important foundation for gymnastics abilities.  For example, Coach won't teach his athletes to handspring until they've mastered back limbers, which are (to me) one of the most impressive feats of strength and mobility available.

The handstand series is still a good place to start though.  H2 is contraindicated by your lack of desire to train F1-2 but H1 will still build you a very nice handstand, and some incredibly good shoulders to go with it.

GoldenEagle

I am actually interested to know if in-person coaching by a gymnastics coach would be better than online courses such as F1? IF yes then can anyone suggest a good gymnastics coach for adults in portland. I am not interested in strength as much as i am in learning gymnastics skills whether they build strength or not is not my primary concern

Going off of a quick web search for Gymnastic Gyms in Portland the web results among others are:

Oregon Gymnastics Academy located in Beaverton, OR

Rose City Gym located in Portland, OR

Browse the websites for their information regarding training adults. 

For more gyms in your area: USA Gymnastics-Find A Gym

To do the gymnastic skills you seek to do, you have to develop the strength required to do them. You can't remove the strength development aspect of learning how to do gymnastic skills. If your body isn't strong enough to do a particular series of integrated motions required to complete a skill, you simply won't be able to do the skill.

Joshua Slocum

As someone who began training both gymnastics strength and skills as an adult, I can tell you that skill acquisition gets vastly easier and more enjoyable the more physically prepared you are. Every second you spend working on the Foundation and Handstand series will be worth it solely for the gains you make in skills. It is a road with less immediate payoff, but ultimately much higher reward.

My recommendation would be to find an adult gymnastics coach to teach you skills, and work Foundation and Handstand on your own in parallel.