Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GST for instead of parkour strength conditioning

Guest AlexanderE

Joshua Slocum

Joshua, is it possible, that parkour still differentiates from gymnastics? Legit question. What I mean here is that the movements practiced in parkour are so basic compared gymnastics (pommelhorse flares, circles and so on vs things like normal vaults). The "basic" strength you need to perform these excersizes are completely different, and I think that MUCH more maximal strength will seem unneccessary in terms of increasing the length of a vault. Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

The complexity of the movement doesn't really factor into the equation. Explosiveness requires maximal strength regardless of how simple the movement is. Having a high vertical jump, for example, requires very strong legs. At some point it becomes beneficial to shift one's focus from maximal strength to explosiveness, but that point comes towards the end of the Foundation series. 

Don't forget the necessity of joint and tendon preparation, too. Heavy plyometric work is very hard on the connective tissue, and the best preparation for that kind of work is low to medium intensity, high-rep work (like that found in Foundation). 

• Upvote 2

Guest AlexanderE

You say a friend has bought foundation 1 and 2. Why not just try it for a while and see if it helps or not? It won't cost you anything to borrow his copy so there is nothing to lose. You'll know soon enough if its helping or not.

Even if you pick and choose for example the single leg squat and hollow back press progressions and mix it with some of the mobility exercises and something more parkour specific, its worth a try

As I stated earlier I am recovering from a shoulder injury so I cannot train right now, hence not having tried foundation yet.

Let's take a look at a muscle-up for example.

If you want to do a plyometric muscle-up, you should have mastered non-plymoetric muscle-up first because plyometric places more stress on your tendons than non-plyometric exercises.  To perform a non-plyometric muscle-up, you should have mastered pull-ups first, or how else can you bring yourself up the bar?  However, just because you can perform a pull-up for example, it doesn't mean you have pull-ups mastered.  If you didn't master an easy exercise, your joints are not adequately prepared for the harder exercise.  That's what Foundation is for, makes sure you've properly prepare everything.  Prepare your joints, so later on the Movement series allows you to start adding in dynamic work.

I am aware of this. My question was in regards to wether or not it would be benefitial to move on to even more advanced stuff than muscle for the sole purpose of strengthening the plyometric muscle up. Seems like Joshua answered that.