Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Killroy 70 Beginner template

Kenneth Manning

• 2 weeks later...

So...

did we get an answer for the best way of incorporating the ring series into a workout based on the killroy70 template?

Like is it best done before the FSPs, or after them but before the FBEs, or at the end of the workout?

Cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...
Coach Sommer

My recommendation would be to insert the ring strength series work on a separate day, perhaps Saturday, or to insert into the weekly rotation as a fifth workout and then begin rotating through.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 4 weeks later...

m following the killroy template and doin a steady state cycle which will be over soon. also i am getting a pair of rings soon so i ll be starting ringwork soon. could someone clarify coach sommer's post above for the weekly rotation thing and how it would work with the steady state cycle. Thanks in advance.

I think it means that day 5 would be ring series while 1-4 would be multiplane, vert, horizontal, inverted push and pulls.

umm... ohk. Another thing. One of my eventual goals is a manna. Not only that but core work is highly imp for me. A poster posted a similar question above but the reply ws nt exactly problem solving. Wht would you suggest? Should i work on core in a different cycle i.e alternate cycle or can core work be integrated into the above workout? kindly suggest in wht way can this be possible. I think there are many ppl out there with manna as a top priority engagement.

I think it means that day 5 would be ring series while 1-4 would be multiplane, vert, horizontal, inverted push and pulls.

Hmm.. Noted for later :)

Integrate core workout into the killroy70 just be mindful of volume and intensity, I wasn't on the first go and it hurt.

For the Manna, get a solid L and straddle-L.

• 4 months later...

Killroy, love the post! Very inspiring stuff, I think i'm just a bit heavier than you and same height but what you've achieved in this amount of time is staggering! (i realise it's an old post now)

I've also just reverted your method of training after trying to combine bodybuilding and gymnastics and having little success with my gynmastics strength.

One thing that caught my eye was this - that you reduced the height of the blocks over a couple of weeks!!! Do you have mutant genetics or something? :wink:

4)** Here I inserted my own little progression - HeSPU partials. I began with three 2x4's nailed together and put a towel on top. I then performed sets of 3 reps. After a couple of weeks on that, I switched to TWO 2x4's nailed together, and after another few weeks down to 1 board.

Joshua Naterman

That is an expected result that comes from proper strength and power training. Mutant genetics would be starting with a few wall HeSPU despite no training and then being able to do full ROM HSPU for sets of several reps in a few months or less. It happens, but is fairly rare.

A large part of building strength and power is not doing too much! The secret difference between power and strength is that there is NO DIFFERENCE. NONE. There is an arbitrary difference in definition: Power is simply strength applied within a timeframe, while strength is maximum force development. Now, EVERYTHING happens within time, at least as far as we know. Now, knowing this you can completely discard a lot of useless crap about the "difference" between strength and power and how you train differently for each. They are one and the same, and are largely a product of the nervous system. To increase them you need intense, short workouts with 48-72 hours of rest in between workouts, at a minimum.

Part of the reason that your attempt at bodybuilding and gymnastic strength failed was that bodybuilding methods train the body to perform in a way that inherently limits power output.

• Upvote 1

That is an expected result that comes from proper strength and power training. Mutant genetics would be starting with a few wall HeSPU despite no training and then being able to do full ROM HSPU for sets of several reps in a few months or less. It happens, but is fairly rare.

Hmmm :mrgreen:

• 6 months later...

I've been slacking off on the static work which probably explains why I lack control. Thanks for the great post killroy. I weigh about the same as you so I'm going to borrow you template and see how it works for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Killroy, Great post, really is helping get started on building a foundation for this program. I just have a few questions about what you would do after your static position work. Can you be a bit more specific on what you would do on each of these days, and what exactly these exercises mean, such as curling, horizontal plane pushing, pulling FBE, and multiplane HeSPU variation?

Day 1 - horizontal plane pushing and pulling FBE

Day 2 - curling (inverted pullup) and dipping variations (RTO dips, etc..) FBE

Day 3 - pullup and HeSPU variation FBE

Day 4 - multiplane pulling variaions + varied pressing work

Sorry for all the questions, just one more. Did your dip and pullup variations included weighted varieties?

Thanks again, and a great post.

Robert

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

If I may jump in here Robert, all your questions are answered in the BtGB book. Correct me if I'm wrong, but horizontal pushing means any pushing exercise where your body is in the horizontal plane. So normal pushups, pseudo planche pushups etc. And the rest works on the same logic. HeSPU means headstand pushups. You can google these terms and you'll find answers though I think the best resource in this case is Coach's book. If you're wondering specifically which exercises to perform, then the book again will show you the various progressions.

Just like to also ask whether, for a super-beginner (my term for people like me who are really, really new to exercise and have no strength to speak of), can I just sub the pre-req stuff (Aka the warm ups of 60s hangs and planks etc) for the FSPs and then do the FBEs? Or do I go even more basic and just attempt the pre-req only?

Hope I'm not just the only one left reading this great thread. :mrgreen:

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

I would definitely do the pre-reqs instead of the FSP in your case, and in everyone's case who has not yet completed the pre-reqs.

Great answer to robert, by the way! Everything he wants to know is in the book.

• 1 month later...

Is there anyway that I could attach this template to the WODs? Could I preform a less demanding killroy 70 workout using this with the WOD, and then perform more a strenuous workout using this on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Using Sunday as a recovery day. Or would this be too much?

K70+WOD would take more time. GBWOD doesn't take much but it would increase

So it sounds like you want to do K70+GBWOD MTuThF and KYO also on WSa taking Su as a rest.

6d in a row is rough.

• Upvote 1

So doing that wouldn't be outrageous though? Sounds like its worth giving a try anyway, since I usually get physically bored on the off days of the WODs.

• Upvote 1

Just because it's a rest/off day doesn't mean you don't have to nothing.

Go for a run/swim/hike/ruck, whatever. Do some light active activity ( the preFSP series ) or play on the rings or handstand work.

Just don't treat it as a normal training day.

Give yourself a rest/off day on Wednesday. I used to go workout on Sa and Su but I also didn't really have to work either days cept maybe 3 or 4 hours on Saturday morning. Having that off/rest day on Wed was pretty nice. I generally would do my WU, some shrugs and some of the PreFSP stuff and then generally spend time on trampoline or just doing tricks at the gym and maybe spend more time on stretching.

Doing K70+GBWOD makes more sense than doing the GBWOD on MTuThF and K70 on the other days. Even if you were going to add the GBWOD on K70 days, I would scale it back accordingly to 50-70% of the normal effort you would put into a WOD.

• 2 months later...
Warrior'sSuite

So you (OP) were basically at level zero in the FSP's in January 2009, but only 3 months later (date this thread was created) you could do a full Backlever? Is that right?

wonder if this killroy70 routine is really enough to get stronger and maybe bigger.

maybe im wrong but is it right to perform only the fsp and 2 fbe with 5x5 at one day?

sounds like not much work for me.....but maybe i dont progress that fast because i do the fsp and 4 fbe 5x5 every other day and thats to much?

Joshua Naterman

Remember the part about you not eating enough? Exercise doesn't make you bigger, exercise + enough food makes you bigger, and exercise + enough of the right foods at the right time makes you big and lean.

• Upvote 1

Larry Roseman
Remember the part about you not eating enough? Exercise doesn't make you bigger, exercise + enough food makes you bigger, and exercise + enough of the right foods at the right time makes you big and lean.

Curious if there's a way to know how strong one can get without gaining mass? I've seen videos of the 85kg

olympic lifters pushing like 400 pounds overhead and they don't seem to have really big arms. Then you

hear stories about tiny women being able to lift cars off their trapped kids which is also incredible. Some young

gymnsts especially are strong but not "big". I've made some physical appearance improvements but have not had a very large increase in strength - maybe 15-20% - though don't measure it so it's a subjective assessment.

Nic Branson

Genetics. No definite way to know. As for the women, do not ever doubt the power of adrenaline and obscene neural activation. The average person can typically only active 63-67% of their muscle fibers. In contrast that Oly lifter snatching 472lbs. is activating 92ish% and has the gifted gene coding for it. Proper training will help you with neural optimization...

Please nobody over think this part...don't get caught up with the percents and crap. If you want to discuss advanced level resistance training physiology then sure but for normal training get it out of your thoughts and don't worry about it.

Human is such a wonderful and complex machine.

For example, your bicep has enough power to rip its own tendon off the bone. It's also true for your legs. That's why someone calculated the limit for 100 meter run is something like 9.5 seconds.