Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Developing the false grip

Thomas Parmer

Thomas Parmer

I was playing around with muscle-ups on rings the other day, and i noticed i could only do them if i got through the transition part with high speed from the pull. about 5 reps in when i diddent have the same pullup strength i was nowhere close to completing the transition. after watching some youtube videos i learned that i should be using a falsegrip to get a smoother transition fase. 

I tried it but found out i was not strong enough in my wrists to hold it propery, so i but a barbell on the squat rack and managed to do a few slow controlled mucleups there as i could twist the bar and with it my hands on top of it.

I figure my weakest link is is really getting the falsegrip and not the transition, although that will also need more work. So, i was wondering, What would be the best way of developing a good falsegrip? 

//Thomas

The best way to develop false grip is to just hang while holding the rings with a false grip. False grip develops your forearm strength because you are required to hold up the weight of your body. Doing wrist curls and wrist extensions will only help a little bit.

For a slow, strict standard muscle up the transition is harder than holding the rings with a false grip. You must realize part of the transition requires you to utilize the serratus anterior, latissimus dorsi, the lower trapezius, the pectorial minor, and tricep muscles just to lift and stabilize your body about three or four inches. Utilizing a kip or relying on explosiveness won't teach you how to use your core muscles to complete the transition smoothly and with the least amount of effort.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
GoldenEagle

Because I am developing false grip, I was rereading parts of BtGB and found the following quote on false grip.

"Your grip should be pressing on the ring in a diagonal line from the bottom knuckle on your index finger, across your palm to the heel of your hand as well as some what on the outside edge of your wrist (this is where those wonderful blisters on your wrist come from). In the beginning, you will probably find it necessary to keep your elbows bent in order to maintain this grip."

Thanks Coach for the description.

Footnote: Quote excerpted from Building the Gymnastic Body, Chapter 7 Combined Pull/Press, subsection: Muscle-Ups: XR Jumping (Page 132 if you have the PDF version of the book) With emphasis added

• Upvote 1

Samuli Jyrkinen

There is no question that you will develop a strong false-grip with R1. You will grind it into your body so much that it becomes a second nature.

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

How to increase stamina....

Just time in the correct position. There aren't any tricks here, sorry. Chalk helps.

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
John Kiggundu

I decided to start developing my false grip as I hope to start doing R1 in about 1 yrs time, and I want to make sure that I prepare myself for this. I tried doing a false grip a couple of weeks ago and failed miserably. It wasn't even close.

For what it's worth, I can do full bodyweight wrist push ups (perhaps with a little bit more momentum, and pike, than @Alessandro Mainente would approve of :-) so I think my wrists aren't too shabby. But I cannot hang from a false grip to save my life and need some ideas to start developing the requisite strength there.  Thanks to anybody who has any suggestions.

Alessandro Mainente

Once the body and especially the forearm it is ready for the rigor of rings work and false grip work you can begin from Rings One course.

• Upvote 3

• 7 months later...
Kevin Herring
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, John Kiggundu said:

I decided to start developing my false grip as I hope to start doing R1 in about 1 yrs time, and I want to make sure that I prepare myself for this. I tried doing a false grip a couple of weeks ago and failed miserably. It wasn't even close.

For what it's worth, I can do full bodyweight wrist push ups (perhaps with a little bit more momentum, and pike, than @Alessandro Mainente would approve of :-) so I think my wrists aren't too shabby. But I cannot hang from a false grip to save my life and need some ideas to start developing the requisite strength there.  Thanks to anybody who has any suggestions.

I tried these for play at the end of my workouts.  My feet didn't leave the ground.  Just bent the knees until I felt my grip bearing more and more of my weight while having less weight in my legs.  Did it all by feel.  I gave my wrists only as much as they would hold for 60 seconds.   Even if that meant the last 20 seconds were 95% legs.  Always seemed to need a lighter day after a really good intense session.  

Surprised myself with a 20 second hold feet in the air after a couple of weeks. (maybe three weeks)  I wasn't keeping up as it was the add-on play at the end of a workout.  And I didn't do it after every workout just when I felt good and had time.  

Probably needed more bend in the wrists but my point is take time with less weight.   Listen to what your body is telling you. 

• Like 2