Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Considering switching to Gymnastics from Crossfit

kindred_fp

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here, been lurking on the forum for about a week and finally decided to open an account to interact with you guys.

Currently my background was doing crossfit for 2 years.  I always never excelled in the gymnastics portion of crossfit so decided to start focusing on it.  I was thinking of completely stopping my crossfit and considering Foundation 1 and maybe HS only.  Seems like this is suggested from searching the forum.

Given I have done some olympic lifting and some met cons, will the Foundation 1 be sufficient from just feeling a good workout.  For people who have done crossfit, you guys know what I mean on feeling drained after the trainers yells time.  

From reading the post, i think the intensity is slightly different.  

Also from reading past posts, it seems like people suggest not to even bother altering the program.  From reading from other forums people actually have tried incorporating some olympic lifting or Wendler training to keep up with their crossfit type strenghts.

Thoughts are always appreciated.

Kindred

In my opinion I don't think Foundation 1 and H1 will be enough to leave you feeling the same (burned out? :)) as a crossfit workout because a big part of it is about building new skills and teaching the body to move in unfamiliar ranges of motion. I doubt you will be bathed in sweat at the end of it.
Some of the moves although difficult are static holds which while sometimes very taxing are not necessarily aerobically demanding. F1 and H1 are mostly about building mobility and endurance/maximal strength in sometimes unusual (to non-gymnasts) positions. Having said that I am certain that anyone who has completed F2 possibly even F1 could handle anything a Crossfit workout could contain.
F1 and H1 will DEFINITELY get you towards the goals of the course and increase your mobility, strength and endurance in the process and personally I think a straddle planche is just way cooler than any power clean etc :)
If you feel it's not enough work you can do whatever else you like as long as you are aware if you overdo it, it may affect your gymnastics progress. Personally I add in some sprint type training to work my legs more and help my aerobic fitness but that's just me. Hope this helps I don't think you'd regret buying it but it does have a money back guarantee.

Hi there!

Going from Crossfit you'll most likely feel you're not really doing much of anything in the beginning. Especially when looking at the program.

However, IMHO, Crosfitters usually do not care all that much about form, but just about execution (i.e. getting the job done and over with). One main mindset for GB is "form above anything". A sloppy rep is not a rep, and does not count. Grinding out the last pushup is not mastery, and does not qualify you to move on to the next level.

As IBGC said, you're probably not going to be bathed (as much) in sweat or being (as) out of breath at with CF, but you WILL be challenged on a lot of different areas. F1 and H1 will be challenging.

If your capacity and recovery allows for it, you're free to do things besides the GB work - but as many here have found, you may not benefit greatly from it, especially hard metcon :)

Connor Davies

Going from Crossfit you'll most likely feel you're not really doing much of anything in the beginning.

But then if you believe Jon Douglas, when you go back (to crossfit) you're not going to to feel like you're doing much of anything during the whole workout....

• Upvote 2

Jaros?aw Ruszkowski

With F1 and H1 combined you'll repair your body, gain strenght and confidence, improve mobility and flexibility. You'll FEEL it after few months. 

I've been in weight training for few years, that's good tool to improve, but you should at the beginning know how to manipulate your own weight before learning how to manipulate free weight. It's simple like that :) 

And you can add some olympic lifting or other training if it's not stopping you from F1 and H1 mastery. 

I'll squat with free weight only when i'll repair my squat form and it's better everyday! :)

But then if you believe Jon Douglas, when you go back (to crossfit) you're not going to to feel like you're doing much of anything during the whole workout....

Simply Coach's standards are higher and stricter than CF's. Train to those and naturally when you're allowed 'slop' and holy crap, actual rest periods, you don't struggle with the pace. No doubt the mobility work also plays a role in efficient movement.

I broke a sweat here and there, just not near as much as the guys who have been there for 2-3 years. To me that's telling, especially at my beginner level. I go there for fun, variety and dynamic work--- but signs indicate that they can't make me stronger than GST can.

If you were to want to do more in the way of the WoDs with GST as supplementary, working your way methodically through F1 an excellent investment in your competitive longevity-- get mobile and some real core strength ASAP.

Edit;

Oh, and mental toughness. Don't talk to me about AMRAP; talk to me about RC/PE6 without rest periods >.<

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much all for the feedback.

I'm really interested in trying the program out and actually stop crossfit to see if its for me.

You guys say it has a money back guarantee, how exactly does it work.  Purchase the program try it for a month and if its not for me return it?  No questions asked? sound really too good of an offer.

Joshua Krasnow

It'd be interesting to know how many refunds there are.  I don't think a month is enough time to decide.  I've been doing it less than two months, and I'm still not sure how long I'll stick with it. I never make a judgement about any exercise program until at least 3 months, and ideally 6-12. That said, for what it costs, I feel like if you stick with it past two months, you've gotten pretty good value anyway,  particularly if you gave up a x-fit or gym membership, you've probably already saved money.

Connor Davies

....I don't think a month is enough time to decide.....

I don't know about that.  It's pretty unique as programming goes.  If you can handle the lack of rest times and the humiliation of training 'easy' progressions in order to build up the strength to do cool stuff later, then you're set.

BTW I struggle with that last one.  I just want to show off all the cool stuff I can't do!