Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

(Some) Foundation results so far...

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

Thought I'd write up the results of my impromptu strength testing at my friendly local Crossfit :)

Just to set the scene, I'm a Foundation beginner, currently working;

F4

SLS/ SE9 (Happy with this)

SL/ SE8 (Almost ready to move on)

F3

FL/ SE2 (Working up the reps)

Mn/ SE8 (Happy with ROM but not the hold, waiting another cycle before advancing)

HBP/ PE18 (Building up ROM steadily)

RC/ PE22 (Under control but needs another 3-7 weeks to get the reps)

F2

sPL/ SE3 (Don't ask)

So I have reasonable core/torso strength for my level, but my arms/shoulders are lagging a bit. No ring/dynamic str to speak of yet.

• I deadlifted more than the empty bar for the first time on Monday night (Thursday today)

• I don't think I've ever put more than 20kg on a bar for anything before January, since when I've gone to Crossfit 1-2x a fortnight for some variety and dynamic work.

• I don't have full HSPU yet.

• 46 degree C day (114.8 F) in a warehouse with a fan and no aircon.

• Foundation training as normal this week (Tues/Fri), plus HS/Press HS on the other days incl today as a warmup. Just banged this on top of it randomly.

• I weighed myself at 78kg this morning. Let's call it 80 by the time I'd eaten, dressed, etc...

So I hit;

Deadlift- 142.5 kg (313.5lb), 180% BW

• The coach was certain I could stand up with 150, but wasn't happy enough with my technique to let me try it. Much as I wanted to go for that 160 benchmark I don't think it would happen ^_^ So 180% bodyweight for second time ever deadlifting.

Back Squat ATG- 92.5kg (203lb), 115% BW

• No problems here. I think I could have gone 95, but we called it when I had to change gears to grind it up past halfway. So 115% bodyweight on first (relatively) heavy bar squat.

Military Press- 65kg (143lb) strict, 81%

- Got 70kg but my back arched, so we called it there.

• Quite pleased with that one, getting close to bodyweight with no overhead bar pressing experience :)

Just my benchmarks for first time strength testing with about 2/3 of the way through Foundation series. Didn't miss any lifts, didn't take any rest between either, so I think I could have gone a little further, but not much; pretty representative of where I am currently.

Think I'll make a habit of checking these things every 6 months or so. Good fun.

Just to check that I could, I climbed the 5m rope a couple times afterwards :) Looking forward to F7 training tomorrow, feel fine in the evening other than a slight tightness in lower back.

• Upvote 13

Connor Davies

I'll be doing my own testing in a couple weeks, although I'm still on F1 for everything.  I'm only going in for deadlift (because I'm genuinely curious) and bench press (for bragging rights)

Edit:

46 degree C day (114.8 F) in a warehouse with a fan and no aircon.

And people ask me why I left Australia....

Edit2: Although really, flex hangs outside in the hail isn't super fantastic either....

• Upvote 1

Scott Pelton-Stroud

That's awesome, Jon! Looks like you've been doing some hard work, and it looks like it has been returning quite well!

Great results for your first lifts. Are you going to have a crack at the open?

Yeah, felt ok for first try :) I'll plan to test again around my birthday in June.

Not interested in the open, this year at least. Id consider trying it next year for the competition factor...

Connor Davies

I like it! Lets have a Junerians group and challenge the Aprillians to a combined ABH face-off :-)

You're saying that now because you haven't seen the faces I pull during ABH....

• Upvote 1

Christian Sørlie

I like it! Lets have a Junerians group and challenge the Aprillians to a combined ABH face-off :-)

You mean the junerians against the aprilfools? It's on :-)

Frankincensed

Jon,

Are you saying that you got all of this strength from Foundation though?

From what I've read in your archived logs you are an experienced gymnast trainee, having some pretty impressive abilities to begin with.

If you did a test before foundations and at this point it would be something to compare, however I'm not sure what I can

take away from this, though I'm certainly happy for you!

Frank

Yes, I followed the wods for a year here or two but it was very piecemeal due to my abilities being all over the place. Since F series came out that's all the strength/conditioning I've trained.

Well, I can't go back in time and put up a test to prove anything; it'll have to to wait for June to get some more numbers on the board for comparison :)

Connor Davies

Just to hijack this thread: I deadlifted for the first time today and reached a single of 100kg (125% bodyweight).  Not bad for someone still stuck on SL/PE1 is it?

Jon,

Are you saying that you got all of this strength from Foundation though?

From what I've read in your archived logs you are an experienced gymnast trainee, having some pretty impressive abilities to begin with.

If you did a test before foundations and at this point it would be something to compare, however I'm not sure what I can

take away from this, though I'm certainly happy for you!

Frank

Frank--

GST from GBodies.com has been my sole strength and conditioning for 2-3 years, and I include my Foundation progress here as a broad measure what I can perform in GST terms.

I understand that my writing up this strength test bothers you, throwing around terms like 'drinking the Kool Aid' and creepy. Care to expand on why this is? Is there some reason people shouldn't experiment and test themselves, and put up the results on a training forum?

Edit;

Just to clarify, I don't mean to come across as confrontational, I genuinely don't understand why it bothers you and wonder whether we have some miscommunication of premises.

No one has claimed they are world class at everything or that X system of training doesn't work, just that we're having fun and it's cool to test it every so often.