Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

floor

Peter Smrek

cant find it here..  i have seen something about floor in forum but..cant remember what was it.

so,what is best type of floor for gymnastic?  good for foundation and handstand course? is it maybe tatami for martial arts ,4cm?  

• Upvote 2

Wrestling mats, panel mats or grass are best for movement work.

Anythng that is comfortable is fine for Foundation. Handstand is best performed on either a firm or hard surface.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Connor Davies

Preferably not paving tiles.  I found out the hard way they can have sharp edges...

Carpet is pretty good for F series, or a yoga mat.

For the most part I'd recommend bringing a towel.  HBP/PE1 on bricks isn't fun on your hands, and HS/PE1-3 can be uncomfortable as well.

i rebuilding one room in new house where i going to move.  that room must have mats everywhere..so no sharp edges..  i will check wrestling mats..

Daniel Burnham

Rollup foam flooring may be cheaper than wrestling mats. This is commonly used in cheerleading floors.

Daniel Burnham

i see..

what kind of mat is this in your avatar Daniel?

I am on a gymnastics floor at my gym in my picture.  That is a spring floor with carpet bonded foam on top.  The carpet bonded foam is a cheaper route for covering a spring floor.  Better floors have foam and then a carpet covering the entire floor.  However there are some carpet bonded foam rolls that are very good albeit more expensive.

• Upvote 1

I've been using my zebra roll out home mats that my brother and I got while training BJJ at home.  They're a bit pricey, but they work great for any movement type stuff and floor exercises.  They come in 5'x10' sections.  I absolutely love them.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
Nick Ebner

I am looking for portable flooring. I am in a space where I can't leave the matts out and I would prefer to roll out a decent flooring than buy a bunch of individual matts. I have checked out the Zebra Matts as mentioned above and they look promising. However, since this post is 2 years old, I was wondering what others have found/are using for portable/storable flooring.  FYI, it'll be for group classes and it will be used for movement, foundation & mobility/stretching - no tumbling. Thanks

Mark Schoenhard

I use these, I move them around where I train and have a couple that cover my living room floor.  They encourage me to constantly practice iM's and stretches.  Easy to roll up and transport and perfect for GST.  They are on sale at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Eva Pelegrin

@Nick Ebner Check out MONDO floring. Very durable, high quality, non-porous surface, antibacterial and microbial... Some styles come in rolls and tiles.

http://www.mondoindoorsportusa.com/MondoArmor.cfm?id_applicazione=106&id_tipologia_prodotto=1&id_categoria=53&id_classe=2

I used it for my studio and highly recommended it for floor/mobility work. Not cheap, but if I had to do it again, I would still use a rubber floor for hygienic reasons. Carpet stinks literally after some use. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to keep carpet fibers odor free... Just something to consider.

• Upvote 1

Nick Ebner
12 minutes ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

I use these, I move them around where I train and have a couple that cover my living room floor.  They encourage me to constantly practice iM's and stretches.  Easy to roll up and transport and perfect for GST.  They are on sale at the moment.

WOW, Thanks Mark. Those look great and yeah they look totally easy to move around as you said. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Nick Ebner
On 5/30/2016 at 9:55 PM, Eva Pelegrin said:

@Nick Ebner Check out MONDO floring. Very durable, high quality, non-porous surface, antibacterial and microbial... Some styles come in rolls and tiles.

http://www.mondoindoorsportusa.com/MondoArmor.cfm?id_applicazione=106&id_tipologia_prodotto=1&id_categoria=53&id_classe=2

I used it for my studio and highly recommended it for floor/mobility work. Not cheap, but if I had to do it again, I would still use a rubber floor for hygienic reasons. Carpet stinks literally after some use. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to keep carpet fibers odor free... Just something to consider.

Thanks @Eva Pelegrin. I contacted them to tell me which options are best as portable flooring and also thanks for the excellent incite about other flooring. I'll let the thread know which I chose and why when the time comes. 

• 3 months later...
Jonathan Horowitz
On 5/30/2016 at 9:48 PM, Mark Schoenhard said:

Mark thank you for the suggestion, I was about to buy these from somewhere else and decided to check here first. I would have paid more than double had I not seen your post!

Coach recommended a hard or firm surface for HS - do you use these mats for HS, or something else (maybe something like the rubber version Eva Pelegrin mentioned above)? 

Mark Schoenhard
1 hour ago, Jonathan Horowitz said:

Mark thank you for the suggestion, I was about to buy these from somewhere else and decided to check here first. I would have paid more than double had I not seen your post!

Coach recommended a hard or firm surface for HS - do you use these mats for HS, or something else (maybe something like the rubber version Eva Pelegrin mentioned above)? 

Nice!  Follow coach's handstand recommendations.  I use a tile floor or a 2"x12" finely sanded, wood plank on the carpet mats.

• Upvote 1