Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adding weight to planche/ Front lever progressions

mikey88

At the moment I am trying to advance from straddle front lever (SFL) to Front lever (FL) and advanced tuck plance to straddle planche.

I would like to add weight to these progressions to help mix things up a bit. Where would be more beneficial to add weight? In the form of a weighted vest OR in the form of ankle weights?

I find the weighted ankle weights harder to add weight, and the weighted vest easier so I can add more weight

Any thoughts Coach sommer or anyone?

Cheers

Mikey88

I do this for leg raises, v-ups, l-sits; I've never really tried doing this for front lever or planche but I don't see why you shouldn't do it, all I know it even adding 1 pound to each foot while do a front lever will add up to a lot more because of all the leverage.

Thanks, and as it is a leverage exercise it would make sense to add weight in the form of ankle weights as only a little weight is needed to generate a large effect

Mikey88

George Launchbury

Hi Mikey88,

Also, depending on the kind and style of your ankle weights ...I guess you could always add them a little further up your toward your knee to decrease the leverage effect slightly if that is necessary?

If they become too light, you can always add a small plate between the ankles using a small strap or belt (see the end of Coach's HLR article for an example), although this would only really work for the adv. tuck (or full planche), since legs need to be together.

Saying that, I suppose that since the transition from straddle to full is infinitely variable due to leg angles, it wouldn't be necessary there anyway?

Cheers,

George.