Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

including static position training

Brage Berg

im currently changing my routine to spice things up a bit and i have a lot of ideas. for that reason, i also have some questions and it would be really nice if some of you experienced guys could help me out.

i have noticed that in various dynamic exercises, there are positions in the exercise that i am weaker in. would it be smart to focus on these positions in a static manner?

my current idea is to end a set with ha static hold in my weakest position in that specific exercise.

for example:

weighted pullups 3x5, ending each set by holdong 3-5 sec in the upper position

tucked FL rows 3x5, ending each set by holding 3-5 sec in the upper position.

and so on..

would this be clasified as overkill, or would it be profitable?

i allready do 10 sets of FL, BL and planche at the start of every routine. so i doallready have alot of static traning in my routines.

i also have a question about handpositioning in planche. i usually train the planche with hands facing backword due to bad mobility in wrist(wich i am currently working on). i tried with my hands facing forward on my fingers(my palms were not toutching the ground). although this position stretched my forearm to mutch, i felt it was much easier to hold the actual planche position, and i could hold a stradle planche for a couple og secs. with hands facing bacwards i can barely hold the advanced flat tucked for 8 sec. if i stretch my forearms alot and get comfertable with this position, is this considered "cheating"?

Answer1: For you, it would be better to start and end your repetitions in the same position. (If you are going to end the set at the top position start and end your repetitions at the top positions instead.)

Answer2: Hand position is optional.

• Like 1

Joshua Slocum

1. I couldn't say whether training statics will be super helpful or not. My guess would be no, but there shouldn't be much harm in trying. 

2. Hand backwards planche is a more advanced variation and should only be trained once you've completed more elbow preparation. It is much more brachialis intensive. 

3. I would strongly suggest that you look into getting the Foundation program for help with programming. It will help ensure that you have performed all the necessary joint preparation and mobility work required for pursuing more advanced moves.

Connor Davies

Tucked FL rows 3x5, ending each set by holding 3-5 sec in the upper position.

I've literally never heard of such a thing.  A FL is already a static position, so.....

I've literally never heard of such a thing.  A FL is already a static position, so.....

Do body weight rows while holding a, tuck, front lever. (See BtGB book. Chapter 6: Upper Body Pulling- Row variations, Difficulty Rating 2)  

• Like 1

ForzaCavaliere

To me it seems like it would be better to hold for 1-2 seconds per rep at the weakest parts of the motion.

Connor Davies

Do body weight rows while holding a, tuck, front lever. (See BtGB book. Chapter 6: Upper Body Pulling- Row variations, Difficulty Rating 2)  

OP mentioned holding the row in the top position.  So it's not a simple front lever row, it's some strange new hold I've never heard of before.

OP mentioned holding the row in the top position.  So it's not a simple front lever row, it's some strange new hold I've never heard of before.

He means holding the bent arm FL which is at the top ROM of the FL row. It's nothing strange or new, I do that too sometimes.

thank you guys for answering. 

He means holding the bent arm FL which is at the top ROM of the FL row. It's nothing strange or new, I do that too sometimes.

that was what i meant. sorry if it was not as clearly statet as the statement above. as you might have noticed, english is not my native language, so its not always easy to express everything the way you want.

anywhays, i think i will try it for a cycle, see the results, and then decide wether or not its worth the extra pain!

Connor Davies

How's it compare to a FL or a flex hang?

How's it compare to a FL or a flex hang?

A bent arm FL with approximately 90 degree angle at the elbows is similar in difficulty to the straight arm FL and obviously much much harder than a flex hang. A bent arm FL/victorian where the hands are leveled with the hips is much harder than the FL.

Did you mistake FL rows for FL pulls? FL rows can also be called FL pull-ups.

Connor Davies

A bent arm FL with approximately 90 degree angle at the elbows is similar in difficulty to the straight arm FL and obviously much much harder than a flex hang. A bent arm FL/victorian where the hands are leveled with the hips is much harder than the FL.

Did you mistake FL rows for FL pulls? FL rows can also be called FL pull-ups.

Nono I knew what OP was getting at.  I thought GoldenEagle was confused....

Nono I knew what OP was getting at.  I thought GoldenEagle was confused....

I don't post anything, if I have nothing to add or if I am confused.