Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

% of 1 rep max in FBE

Azhar Abdul Khader

Azhar Abdul Khader

let's say, I finished a cycle with single bar under grip dips and then I'm capable of doing only 6 reps of korean dips.

Should I do multiple sets of 6 korean dips or half the no of reps i.e. 3 reps ?

Or should I move on to an exercise which I can only do a maximum of 3 reps and do multiple sets of 3 reps (which I think is gonna fry my CNS) ? 

@Bipocni - What about these ?

GoldenEagle

@GoldenEagle How many reps should I do when I move onto the next harder variation of an exercise. let's say, I finished a cycle with single bar under grip dips and then I'm capable of doing only 6 reps of korean dips.

Should I do multiple sets of 6 korean dips or half the no of reps i.e. 3 reps ?

Or should I move on to an exercise which I can only do a maximum of 3 reps and do multiple sets of 3 reps (which I think is gonna fry my CNS) ? 

How to determine which exercise is the next hardest variation ?

Thanks

In the book BtGB Coach states a minimum of 5 sets of 5. [if you have the pdf version of the book, see page 192 in the second paragraph and the second sentence. Or Chapter Ten (Program Design), sub section: Basic Strength Training, Second paragraph second sentence]

I, personally, can't say how many reps and sets you should do. I can't say because I don't know how much stimuli your body type needs for it to build muscle.

Personally speaking and for my body type, I move onto the next hardest variation after I am able to complete a total of 60 reps with strict form of one variation for several weeks in a row.

For example, a portion of my workout used to be, 60 total reps of Korean dips with an overhand grip for 8 weeks before moving onto underhanded Korean dips. (My typical set and rep scheme is: Set 1 /15 reps, Set 2 /12 reps, Set 3 /10 reps, Set 4/ 10 reps, Set 5 /8 reps, Set 6 /5reps)

• Like 1

Connor Davies

(My typical set and rep scheme is: Set 1 /15 reps, Set 2 /12 reps, Set 3 /10 reps, Set 4/ 10 reps, Set 5 /8 reps, Set 6 /Rreps)

Do you not find it better to be able to hit a certain number consistently across all your sets?

Coach Sommer

The programming from BtGB is quite dated now and is why that particular text is no longer available. The GB Foundation courses are my best recommendation for basic GST development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

Do you not find it better to be able to hit a certain number consistently across all your sets?

It is more about letting the body rest more. Than pushing it so much you risk injury. The set rep scheme is just half of a pyramid set rep scheme. (IE: 5, 8, 10, 10, 12, 15, 15, 12, 10, 10, 8, 5)

At the moment I am pushing my body to complete 6 sets of 5 strict ring dips with an embedded RTO support hold. I eventually get up to 15, 12, 10, 10, 8, 5

• 4 weeks later...

The programming from BtGB is quite dated now and is why that particular text is no longer available. The GB Foundation courses are my best recommendation for basic GST development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi coach,

I always wanted to ask you something, since this have been discussed a lot. Hope you will answer:

How much time in total should completing the four foundations take to a YOUNG (about 18 years old) and ACTIVE person?

Now I know it varies from a person to another, but speaking in general, how much time would it take?