Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Press to handstand needed for 1 arm handstand?

Nikhil Arun

1. Is it necessary to have mastered the press to handstand before training 1 arm progressions?

2. Is it possible to achieve a good one arm without the press?

Connor Davies

Well, just look at the Handstand series provided by Coach.  It goes handstand, press handstand, one hand handstand.

It might be possible to perform a straddle one-hander without one, but the learning process will be much smoother if you learn the press handstand first.

1. Is it necessary to have mastered the press to handstand before training 1 arm progressions?

2. Is it possible to achieve a good one arm without the press?

Yes.

No.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Mikael Kristiansen

I know people who have learned it without being able to press from L sit or straddle L, but they could press from standing with ease and had very good flexibility. They also were people doing balancing in school every day with one of the best balancing teachers I know.

Press handstand is a prerequisite how I see it. Not just being able to brute force your way up once, it needs to be a joke. There are many other things that need to be learned as well for efficient learning of it, but flawless pressing makes a big difference. Without any pressing ability you just wont be capable of correcting underbalance at all, something which is about 10 times harder on 1 arm than on 2.

A decent 1 arm handstand(straddle 7+ seconds solid) is ridiculously much more difficult, complex and time consuming than a press. Learning it without good basics makes it way worse and trust me, it is hard enough as it is.

• Upvote 5

• 3 months later...
Markus Ridziauskas

Well, I would like to argue with that. I can hold a solid 20sec straddle OAHS and can't event do a normal press with tucked legs. But it took me 10months. Without any professional help. Everything on my own. 

• Upvote 1

Nikhil Arun

I've experienced the same thing, as the person who started this thread. I didn't have a press before starting training OAHS, been training it with a coach for 6 weeks now, and this wednesday (two days ago) I tried a tuck press before starting my weight shifts and it was quite easy. I haven't done any work on presses but i've done a ton of weight shifts, wall conditioning, and endurance sets. 

Mikael Kristiansen

For efficient practice it is good to learn press handstand before starting 1 arm balancing. The most relevant part is being able to pike/straddle up from standing as this ROM is where you need to work and a press builds important strength and requires active open shoulders. Being able of repping it will be good in the long run and you should also press from L and straddle L. 

I do however know many balancers who can do really difficult 1 arm stuff and have comparatively little pressing strength so its doable to learn without solid pressing, but you are better off learning both. 

• Upvote 1

Benjamin Witkowski

I partially agree with Markus here.  If you can hold a 30-40 second handstand, it wouldn't hurt to start doing weight shifting exercises for fun in addition to all the fundamental work that you do.  Some people will get the one-armed HS that way before they get the press, especially if they are not flexible.

However, if you are going to hang out on these forums, there is a tested curriculum that people should follow if they are going to maximize their potential.