Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretch one

Boris Mikael Taube

Jonathan Pettit

It would be nice if there were something to tide us over, like the Beginner Template for basic strength.  I'm fairly flexible (can easily touch my toes, palm the floor, decent pike, almost front split and close-ish side splits), but I haven't improved in the last 10 years.  Clearly what I'm doing is great for maintaining my flexibility but not for taking the next step.

It doesn't help that the Internet has 10,000 different, often contradictory suggestions on how to build a stretching routine.  I don't know what to do, or what information to trust.  I've even spent money on Internet snake oil.  One reason I can't wait for S1 is because then I can trust the programming and stop wasting money on other products.

Keilani Gutierrez

laying out your stretches per muscle group as a chain methodically has helped me build some semblance of flexibility compared to my dry leather days. :P

I understand, guys.  And we are working on getting it out.  It may help your impatience to realize that this year I personally did 17 seminars.  Up from 2 the year before.  

Needless to say, the workload of the seminars this year has had a significant and unexpected  impact on my course editing!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Robert Rowland

It may help your impatience to realize that this year I personally did 17 seminars.  Up from 2 the year before.  

Wow, that's quite the stretch:P

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...
John Cunningham

Posted Today, 10:11 PM

The individual element portions of the three stretch courses are all already filmed and edited.  Now all that remains is to film the three group classes where the student has the option of following along with me as I personally lead a group thru the workout.  These are scheduled for filming this coming weekend.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

JonasPortugal

How will the Stretch program impact or be incorporated with the Foundation programs? Do you do them before, during, after Foundation workout or at other days? And how does this Stretch 1 differ from other many other stretch programs out there (Tom Kurtz, Keith Laughlin)?

Alexander Egebak

How will the Stretch program impact or be incorporated with the Foundation programs? Do you do them before, during, after Foundation workout or at other days? And how does this Stretch 1 differ from other many other stretch programs out there (Tom Kurtz, Keith Laughlin)?

I guess we will only know when it is released. But one thing is sure - that the stretch courses would be the best stretch programs out there to be integrated into foundation work.

More from Coach on the AMA on Reddit: "Stretch 1, 2 and 3 will be the next GB products released. Followed shortly thereafter by Movement 1, 2 and 3." and in response to "If I may ask a follow-up question: Will Stretch 1, 2, and 3 build upon each other like the Foundation courses, or will they all focus on different areas?", Coach replied: "Each of the three stretch courses focuses upon a different area of the body."  I would encourage all to read through the whole thing, there is a lot of very valuable information and answers on there. 

• Upvote 2

Merunas Astrauskas

Posted Today, 10:11 PM

The individual element portions of the three stretch courses are all already filmed and edited.  Now all that remains is to film the three group classes where the student has the option of following along with me as I personally lead a group thru the workout.  These are scheduled for filming this coming weekend.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I'm curious how much time these videos take to edit and prepare for the course portal.

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Guesses on the three areas? I imagine shoulders and hips are two of the three. What else? Spine? Wrists and ankles and neck?

• 4 weeks later...
Damien Del Russo

Yay, the stretch courses are out!

The confusing thing for me though is that they are not a progression - they're three different courses. I don't mind buying more than I need, but I am a little concerned about biting off more than my grizzled, inflexible jaw can chew. Any guidance on how much commitment is required to follow the stretch course(s)? I am, ahem, pretty slow in my GB progressions.

Damien

Bought them immediately, although I can't view them yet.

Really excited about this. Main goal is front splits as I'm already pretty close, but without proper guidance or knowledge I've mostly been maintaining my current flexibility in fear of injuring myself again. 

Mike Coppinger

i guess a big question would be "How do these fit in with the rest of the curriculum?" 

Some time back Coach Sommer posted a 'road map' to the curriculum that included mention of several unreleased products (R1 had not been released, or any of the Movement series, i think the last of the H series was unreleased at the time too), but there was no mention of a Stretch program.  Do these go before everything else?  Do specific stretch programs fit along side other modules?  The Thoracic Bridge series looks like it might greatly benefit progress on the Handstand series, but i am unsure where the other two would fit in. 

Concerns about mobility & flexibility are what have been holding me back from jumping in with F1/H1, so understanding this will help me decide where and how to start. 

Thanks,

Randal Jackson

Really excited to get the Stretch series that released today. I'm also looking forward to the Movement series. Anybody know what will be part of the Movement series? I know the Stretch and Movement will be different, but also wodering if there is any correlation...? Any insight would be great...thanks!

Alexander Svensson

Really excited to get the Stretch series that released today. I'm also looking forward to the Movement series. Anybody know what will be part of the Movement series? I know the Stretch and Movement will be different, but also wodering if there is any correlation...? Any insight would be great...thanks!

I had a dream once that Movement was released, and the very first PE was just regular burpees  :P  not sure how it will end up in the real world though lol.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan Pettit

I had a dream once that Movement was released, and the very first PE was just regular burpees  :P  not sure how it will end up in the real world though lol.

Let me guess, 60 rep template?

• Upvote 1

Eric Miettinen

Ahh this fits in perfectly, I train BJJ 3-4 days a week with foundation/handstand work on the off days. I can slide a stretch workout after each BJJ session, very nice indeed.

• Upvote 2

Sven Ravnstag

You will be sure once you have experienced a correct flexiblity training session.   :icon_twisted:

Training mobility and training flexibility requires two separate and distinct approaches.  Both are necessary for complete athletic development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is absolutely consistent with my experience with Stretch so far. I've used (and will continue to use) elements of Kit's work because it's quite good. However, the Stretch courses are simply a different animal. As I was doing the front split movements, I could absolutely feel that they were going to produce the flexibility I need to progress in GST.

I remember Coach saying in a post a long time ago that his stretch sessions are like a workout unto themselves, and that's just what Stretch is. It feels as much like a mobility-focused training session as stretching, and if it's as effective as it feels I'll be going from 0-Pike/Pancake/Backbends in three sessions a week.

• Upvote 1

Murray Truelove

I have to say how happy I am with these. I've never made much progress with stretching so having an intense follow along video is great.

It really is serious stretching as well, I did the front split video on Wednesday and I'm still sore, something I've never had from a stretching session.

I've taken some "before" pictures and can't wait to see the comparison in 6 months time.

• Upvote 4

Melanie Hunter

I just purchased all 3 stretch courses and spent some time this morning learning about and attempting each element in preparation for my week-when I try all this for real with the follow along video. For me, at 42, ("active" my whole life but never "flexible"), just figuring out what props I will need-to be able to keep up with the follow along course-was necessary. Further thoughts:

1) Oh no, my first post on the GB forum is going to be full of swear words

2) These stretch courses are absolutely essential if you are struggling with any of the mobility elements in the other courses.

3) I'm really looking forward to attending the seminar in Denver in June, but people are going to point at me and laugh. 

4) Seriously-if you're on the fence at all, buy the stretch courses. You will get so much out of it!

• Upvote 1