Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Debugging double-fronts

Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum

This is an attempt from a few days ago. It looks like I need to try to set for more height, but I'm not sure exactly what to change. Any suggestions?

Daniel Burnham

Can you post a slow mo version? Looks like you are barely setting. The arm swing immediately turns into a tuck. You need to tuck earlier than a front for sure but the chest shouldn't start so far down. It's limiting your height.

Matthew Barrett

Your feet need to out in front of you when they make contact with the ground.  Right now they are behind you a good amount and immediately after you leave your body is far in front of your feet.     

You need to refine your take off technique. Do single front tucks from one jump aiming to take off with your feet in front of you. 

Josh,

Sorry, but your double front is not even remotely close to being correct.

The first order of business will be to adjust your entry.  Note that you are leaning forward into the punch.  If you are leaning forward, how are you going to generate height and rotation?!?

To correct this, you will need to first practice the following drill:

From a few steps hurdle and bring your legs together into a rebound.  Your legs should be together with the knees tight.  The hips should be open (no piking!) with your chest tall and the arms overhead.  The entire body should also be slightly tilted backward.

Upon contact with the ground, in addition to rebounding I want you to simultaneously pull your heels back behind you.  This will cause you to lift and to slightly rotate forward.  

Practice this drill until you feel that you have it correct and then please post a video of it for my review.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Joshua Slocum

Josh,

Sorry, but your double front is not even remotely close to being correct.

Well at least I'm rotating in the right direction  :P

The first order of business will be to adjust your entry.  Note that you are leaning forward into the punch.  If you are leaning forward, how are you going to generate height and rotation?!?

To correct this, you will need to first practice the following drill:

From a few steps hurdle and bring your legs together into a rebound.  Your legs should be together with the knees tight.  The hips should be open (no piking!) with your chest tall and the arms overhead.  The entire body should also be slightly tilted backward.

Upon contact with the ground, in addition to rebounding I want you to simultaneously pull your heels back behind you.  This will cause you to lift and to slightly rotate forward.  

Practice this drill until you feel that you have it correct and then please post a video of it for my review.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks. I'll post a video as soon as I think I've got the drill right.

• 1 month later...
Timothy Aiken

Coach, a gymnastics coach at a gym in Missouri had me do the exact same drill for double fronts :o 

Do you arm circle? The drill I was given was to teach correct loading of the punch.