Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tuck Planche Pushups

Jeff Walker

I cant seem to lock out my arms when performing these and I find that Psuedo Planche Pushups havent really helped.  I thought about maybe using a band to assit me but not sure.  Any good methods to acheiving these and locking them out.  I can hold a decent AT planche for 3-5s

Joshua Slocum

Post videos of your PPP, tuck planche, and tuck planche pushup attempts.

How many PPP can you do? How long can you hold the tuck planche for?

Whats the recommended progression to get these?  

Here is a video of a tuck planche.  

In this video there is a Tuck Planche Pushup Attempt.

Joshua Slocum

Your straight arm strength is lacking. You need to be able to hold the tuck planche for much longer. 2-3 seconds is not nearly enough. You're going to want at least a 10s hold before you start playing around with tuck planche pushups; much more if you want to be able to get in a reasonable amount of volume. 

Given that your trouble is with straightening out at the top, and not pressing up, your bent-arm strength is probably adequate. 

You can't lock out your arms in a tuck planche, and you're trying to train for a cross?

My arms are locked out and YES I AM TRAINING FOR A CROSS with Cross Trainers 

Colin Macdonald

My arms are locked out and YES I AM TRAINING FOR A CROSS with Cross Trainers 

To me they look bent on your first attempt, less so on the second.

Even if you could hold a tuck planche for a decent amount of time with your arms locked, you still wouldn't be anywhere near ready for cross training. Please be careful.

• Upvote 2

Your arms seem to bend slightly right after you start your tuck planches. I would say you are also lacking in bent arm strength because you barely get much ROM in the tuck planche push-up attempt and your hips are high.

Post videos of your PPPs so we can see what the problem is. Doing PPPs should eventually give you enough strength for tuck PLPUs and yes, bands will help, but it's not the best way. You can also do more negatives to help.

Forget about TPPU until you start working on ATPL.

Honestly, I don't believe that you have an ATPL because your normal TPL looks pretty weak. Make TPL your primary focus for now and continue with PPPU. Also, your TPL is not perfect. Hips should be level with the shoulders and upper back should be heavily rounded.

Keep working on tuck planche.  Pseudo planche push ups help more as you lean forward more. If you have to place your feet on something higher while doing pseudo planche push ups.

The exercises that have helped me with tuck planche push ups are: underhanded Korean dips, wall supported handstand shrugs, shoulder dislocates (overhand and dorsal grip), and an exercise called "Inch ups" start in l-sit, or parallel bar support hold and just depress your scapula.

For planche, the muscles that make up your shoulder girdle need to be fairly strong plus you need fairly strong serratus anterior muscles, lats, abs and lower back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rival11

I have found that not being afraid to lean forward more is what is going to greatly help you with tuck planche pushups.  Basically, start in standard tuck position then on the way down lean forward as much as you can then keep going with your tuck planche pushups - I love these because I cannot do an advanced tuck planche but when doing tuck planche pushups....It "feels" like I am doing advanced tuck - especially on the lockout of my arms.

I can't do many (about 3) but I make them count and I am starting to slowly feel like I will be able to do more soon.