Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lower back pain

Bas de Smet

Dear fellow gymnasts,

I have been walking around with pain in the upper part of the lower back for the last couple of weeks.

The pain is at its worst when I have been in a bended position while standing for a couple of seconds (picking something up from the ground for example) and then standing straight again, or the day after a heavy training session.

Such a training session then also includes doing flips ans bar swings etc.

The pain isn't the same every day. Sometimes it feels like it's almost gone, but the day after it can feel quite painful again.

My question is if someone can help me out with some exercises that might fix this problem, or if someone has other suggestions on how to get rid of this backache.

Thanks in advance,

All the best,

Bas

Douglas Wadle

Sorry, my friend, but you should really see a doctor for this. It's impossible for us to help without knowing the problem and we're only likely to hurt you unless we know more specifically what we're dealing with here. Could be anything from a muscular imbalance to a nerve impingement to a tumor. Glad to help once you have a diagnosis.

Randeep Walia

The old adage: "go see a doctor" has rarely worked for me. I think it's a matter of finding the right doctor that understands what type of imbalances can exist in different parts of our body that can cause these types of problem. In my case, my lower back injury was a result of inactive glute muscles. I also think untreated trigger points played a part.

My advice, and I think you should really consider it, is look for a massage therapist that specializes in Trigger Point Therapy and/or Myofascial release. This treatment can work miracles for some people. If it helps you out, you can conduct this type of therapy on yourself with foam rollers and lacrosse balls

Douglas Wadle

For sure I agree with the above. Not much a doctor is going to do for you if it's mechanical. The point is, we shouldn't be supplying medical advice and the role of a doctor visit is to rule out bad stuff. From there, go see a PT if that's appropriate, or ask questions of us here.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

the causes can be different, maybe in loco, sometime in a different place and the pain diffuses until where you feel the problem.

first see a physio.

second consider to implement you training with foundations. the solution is simple as immediate. foundation especially the side lever progression build up the spine strength over all the possible joints ligaments, tendons and muscles talking in therms of  flexion, extension, twisting movement and side flexion. all you need to boost you back life is here.