Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At what point does an exercise become endurance, rather than strength?

Seabird

Title pretty much says it all, at what point does the number of reps and sets of an exercise, pullups for example, become an endurance exercise rather than a strength one? At what point does it become less about hypertrophy and more about just the endurance factor? 3x8? And how would rest times differ between those different periods? Would you want the 3-5 minutes earlier on, when it's still a strength building exercise, and decrease rest when it's above that certain level?

Connor Davies

Generally when you get past say, 15 reps.  But you can still build strength and size with higher reps, it's not set in stone.

You're pretty much spot on with the rest times, but if you look at say the planche progressions in F2 there's no rest times at all, just a different strength exercise.  And it seems to get results.  ;)

James Janssen

Basically what Bipocni said, and it also depends on your performance on pull-ups. If you can do more than 20 of them in a row, 1-5 reps of the same exercise isn't going to do much strength wise, unless you use extra loading and 'reset' the continuum.

Even then, and depending your on your goal, I'm sure there is a progression somewhere that Coach invented to challenge you after you reach 'acceptable' endurance on the pull-up.  :) 

I also found this on the web, it's from a book by Baechle & Earle, 2000.

f18-3.jpg

Wondering the same question but aimed at static holds, are there any rules of thumb for static holds?

I heard if you can hold something for 20+ seconds then it is for endurance.

I heard if you can hold something for 20+ seconds then it is for endurance.

Cool thanks. Though doens't Sommer advocate getting your holds to 60 seconds before you move to a harder progression? Why is that if anything above 20 seconds builds mostly endurance. Doesn't he also advocate only strength building reps? 

I'm quite new to the whole gymnasticbodies stuff, so I might be completely wrong.

Keilani Gutierrez

when things start going from Static to Concentric to Dynamic, I have found the higher reps help me maintain the static shape throughout dynamic movements. (like jumping, plyometric pushups, cartwheels.)

Connor Davies

Cool thanks. Though doens't Sommer advocate getting your holds to 60 seconds before you move to a harder progression? Why is that if anything above 20 seconds builds mostly endurance. Doesn't he also advocate only strength building reps? 

I'm quite new to the whole gymnasticbodies stuff, so I might be completely wrong.

Yeah, but that's mostly to build up the connective tissue and make sure you have enough conditioning to train productively at higher strength levels.

Yeah, but that's mostly to build up the connective tissue and make sure you have enough conditioning to train productively at higher strength levels.

Aha, thanks. I'll experiment a bit with 20+ and 20- second sets and see which is best for me. Got some insight now though.

Kevin Haimann

This really depends on your tempo, pausemanagment and number of sets performed.

For complex movements in my opinion everything beyound 8 Reps with a Tempo of 4010 and less than 2mins rest indeed means build up your strength endurance for that movement.

Maximal strength is the ability to recrute a maximal number of motorunits. If you exceed the above, your brain really does not need to further activate more fibres.

This still increases hypertrophie, but what is hypertrophie without the belonging strength?

Except for special conditioning concerns or some basic stuff and prehability movements there is absolutely no need to exceed a TUT of 40secs per set.