Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is using chalk when rope climbing, "cheating"?

Bryan Wheelock

Bryan Wheelock
I got a new poly-plus dacron covered rope. It's very slick without chalk. Even a little spit only made it marginally better.

With chalk, it's not that bad.

I'm thinking the chalk is fine, but I just wanted to here some opinions.

If I can get the strength the climb the rope without chalk, I think I'd  be able to close a CoC #3.

Piotr Ochocki

Nothing wrong with chalk, unless you are into completely different exercise than rope climb we're talking about here.

Also remember that goal is to descent in an controlled way, relatively slowly. Unexpected slide down can quickly invalidate rope climb mastery ;).

I get really sweaty hands, can't climb without chalk.

The one time I tried without it, I ended up slipping and had to use my feet to stop myself. I ended up getting insane rope burn and I couldn't walk for a week or so.

Joshua Slocum

What kind of rope are you using?

The rope at my gym is quite rough (Manila I believe) - even with sweaty hands it's not difficult to hold on.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Bryan Wheelock

Mueller's Quick Drying Adherent(spray resin) is the solution I had been looking for to keep my grip on the poly-plus rope. I just had to re-chalk and my grip was solid. It's hard to remove, I used Goo-Gone orange extract. Apparently olive or vegetable oil might work too.

This is why you don't buy polyplus in the first place. I'll take the manilla shavings/splinters to a slippery rope anyday.

Besides, manilla has a wonderful smell.

Bryan Wheelock

Manilla is not a good option if you are going to hang your rope outside for long periods of time.
From what I've read, manilla ropes that get wet will rot internally after a few years and spontaneously fail.

• 2 weeks later...

My only option of rope Atm is quite slippery. Should I try and invest myself in a Manila rope or just suck it up and keep working the slippery beast I have access to until I get it?

• 5 months later...
Alexander Jhin

Anyone try un-manila rope? Hear it's supposed to have the non-rotting properties of poly but the grip of manila.

I have poly-plus and man that thing is slippery. It's supposed to get more grippy over time, but having had it for 2 years it's only slightly gotten better. At this point, I'm tempted to try rubbing dirt into it -- which will make it wear faster, but will also make it grippier.

The synthetic manila rope I've tried isn't bad. Maybe not quite manilla grip wise but much better than the poly rope I've tried.

The other big plus is it doesn't shed so it's suitable for indoor use.

For outdoor use, besides moisture related problems, you also have to be concerned about UV breaking down the material.