Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Refeeds work! Plus they are fun

Edward Prah

I don't know the specific science of it but I heard that when you've lowered calories for a deficit for a certain amount of time, you can hit a plateau where you stop losing weight/fat. It has to do with leptin levels according to what I've read. I had no idea about this. After a plateau, I ate half of a Little Caesars deep dish pizza (and loved every second) and still lost weight.

Apparently the refeed boost leptin levels back up after being lowered on the deficit. It works! With my meal plan from a local company around here, I've been able to lose 10 pounds in less than 2 months. I hit a plateau but the refeed did the trick. That doesn't seem like much, but I have gotten stronger and I don't think I've lost any muscle. Anyway, have fun with your refeed!

I found this info on google:  this website.<--click link (Let me know if I'm not allowed to do this please)

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

Yep.  Carbohydrates especially seem to help regulate the leptin sensitivity.  Its a very complex process that isnt completely understood.  leptin seems to be a starvation hormone and is secreted by fat.  Leptin is one of two known hormones that affect total fat storage, the other being insulin.  It seems that leptin probably plays the biggest role in obesity and is most responsible for long term fat storage regulation.  

If you guys have a chance to read on it you should!  I think the biggest mistake internet dietitians make is blaming everything on insulin.  Proper insulin management is important for health no doubt but it isn't the only thing that regulates fat.  Many people believe that if they never eat carbs they cannot get fat.  This is a topic for another day but just be aware.

Go Leptin!

• Upvote 2

Only half?

LOL! I had to share unfortunately. heh I'm pretty sure I could've ate the whole thing and still lost weight.

Christoph Pahl

Loosing weight is a statistical process, you have to watch one or two weeks at least to see any real effect. Gaining or loosing weight during one day, eating one pizza or the like simply means: nothing.

The lost weight came a week after the refeed. I broke my plateau during the process. So it works.

edit: The best way to find out is to try it when you hit a plateau. You have to be eating right throughout though.

I also found this article.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.