Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings One Spoiler

Scott Malin

Coach has mentioned his progressions to a cross include planche, and after cross is maltese.

I think that is a straddle planche before iron cross, rather than a full planche 

If you have a Maltese straddle planche and iron cross on rings I'd be seriously surprised if you couldn't do a full planche....

If you have a Maltese straddle planche and iron cross on rings I'd be seriously surprised if you couldn't do a full planche....

Full planche on rings? I would be surprised as well, but I have heard of at least one person who couldn't do a rings full planche while having all the skills you mentioned and much more difficult skills.

Daniel Burnham

Full planche on rings? I would be surprised as well, but I have heard of at least one person who couldn't do a rings full planche while having all the skills you mentioned and much more difficult skills.

There are a few in my gym who worked to Maltese from cross and cant do full planche.  Gregor also said the same thing.  In a competition setting, maltese is more worth it to learn as well.  Who knows maybe coach will sneak it in there.  

• Upvote 1

Michael Blythe

While R1 can certainly be worked after mastering F2, it will be a much easier process if F4 has been mastered first.

In a perfect world, your F4 materials should be the warmup and cool down for your ring strength.  

For example, each day my own athletes warmed up with seven 7m rope climbs; 1 triple and two doubles.  Note that this was not considered strength training per se; but merely warmup.  A triple is three laps up and down the rope without rest and a double is two trips up and down.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I want to live in this "perfect world" .... More like " Awesome world"

There are a few in my gym who worked to Maltese from cross and cant do full planche.  Gregor also said the same thing.  In a competition setting, maltese is more worth it to learn as well.  Who knows maybe coach will sneak it in there.  

Yes, the person I was referring to is Gregor. I remember that he said he was closer to a victorian than a full planche on rings and he could do stuff like Balandin skills and BL pull to maltese.

It is important to remember that these people are the exception to the rule and, in all probability, most of you are not.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

It is important to remember that these people are the exception to the rule and, in all probability, most of you are not.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

True. Do your athletes have full planche on rings coach? I remember Allan working Maltese but he didn't mention planche when I was inquiring about his future routine.

I thought straddle planche was a pre req in coaches series for Maltese hence my reasoning if you have a straddle planche and a Maltese then a full planche should be an easy reach unless you did straddle planche mastery that was ridiculously wide.

Once Allan had his straddle PL we moved on. Straight PL is not worth nearly as much, with far fewer high scoring variations, than a maltese.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

By the time Allan got his Maltese/Inverted Cross, is it basically just refining routines now for competition, or is there something beyond that for GST?  Not sure what's left at that point, Butterfly?

Daniel Burnham

By the time Allan got his Maltese/Inverted Cross, is it basically just refining routines now for competition, or is there something beyond that for GST?  Not sure what's left at that point, Butterfly?

The holds are one thing.  Getting into and out of them is a whole other story.  Skills like azarian, baladin 1-3 etc... are how the scores really go up.

Daniel Burnham

Once Allan had his straddle PL we moved on. Straight PL is not worth nearly as much, with far fewer high scoring variations, than a maltese.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks,  Was just curious.  This seems to be the norm in competition now.

The holds are one thing.  Getting into and out of them is a whole other story.  Skills like azarian, baladin 1-3 etc... are how the scores really go up.

So would those be what you call the equivalent of "Movement" but on the Rings? 

Daniel Burnham

This is a bit different than how I believe coach defines movement in the movement series. They technically are moving but it's not terribly dynamic. Still considered strength in the code of points too. More like a press.

Connor Davies

Bare in mind there's all kinds of kipping and swinging skills on the rings as well...

• 1 month later...
Timothy Aiken

What are the requirements for strap length? Would we need to do work on a rings tower? 

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm sure anything at muscle up height is permitable (i like doing them with straight legs, it looks BA! so whatever that height is for you) for anything else, the straps are adjustable, so heights will vary with different PE's/SE's 

Timothy Aiken

I'm 6' 1", so... that's tall :) By the time I'm ready for Rings I'll be in college (high school junior now), so I'll probably talk to a gym owner who will hopefully take me seriously after seeing the results of F4. That, or I'll go to a college with a gymnastics team who may let me use their rings. Wishful thinking.... for now I'll just be thinking about F1 :) 

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm 6' 1", so... that's tall :) By the time I'm ready for Rings I'll be in college (high school junior now), so I'll probably talk to a gym owner who will hopefully take me seriously after seeing the results of F4. That, or I'll go to a college with a gymnastics team who may let me use their rings. Wishful thinking.... for now I'll just be thinking about F1 :)

you americans. I fold. (i can't raise you any, with my meager 5'7-5'8) :P let's see if all this hip flexor stretching can make me taller.  B-)