Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walking mechanics fault

stranger

Hello everybody,

recently I noticed that my winter shoes, which have a bit elevated heels, are getting worn out on the outer side of the heel. Perhaps I was trying too hard to keep my foot arch from collapsing resulting in an exaggerated supination. I got into squats a couple of months ago where I am trying to be able to squat, so I do quite a bit of stretching, mobility and similar exercises as well as being conscious throughout the movement as well as daily activities like walking etc.

When I am squatting, among many other things I need to be aware of, I have to keep my foot arch active. Perhaps this habit translated itself to my walking mechanics and now I get the results I described.

For now the biggest problems in my squat are my ankle flexibility and also I discovered quite poor internal hip rotation. And sometimes walking feels very unusual and I get some bad sensation in my knees after walking a couple of kilometers.

Can you give me some basic ideas on correcting these faulty mechanics? How should I reprogram myself to be able to walk and move better?

Interesting question. The heel on my right shoe always gets pressed to the left, which must mean that when I set the right foot down, it rotates slightly clockwise. I have no idea why; if I should deal with it, and if so, how to do it.

Incidentally I also have some meniscus issues in the left side of the right knee, maybe there's a connection? 

I'd love to learn more.

Connor Davies

Well walking barefoot tends to strengthen the plantar fascia (the main tendon in your foot arch) and especially barefoot running is great.  This thing works a lot like the achilles tendon in that it uses plyometric strength.  It's like a spring, you squash it down and then it bounces back up.

So I'm no means an expert on these things but forefoot running and skipping should both help strengthen the arch somewhat.  I've heard many stories of people who had a similar arch issue with you, that went away entirely once they strengthened their plantar fascia.

If you want to shell out for some fancy shoes, MBT's will blow your mind.  I used to work in a store and while most of their advertised functions are garbage, they are excellent for people with foot problems.  It wont solve the problem with your arch, but it will support it and improve your walking mechanics.  As long as you're wearing the shoes.

• Upvote 1

I've been barefoot walking for a while now and I've never felt better. I used to get knee and back problems, my ankles were weak but now no knee or back problems and my ankles have never been stronger. I feel like I have far more control on my feet.

Also my running and balance seemed to have improved drastically. I would recommend it to everyone.

Another advocate for barefoot type shoes here.

How one walks when barefoot is the most natural walking gait we can have. It strengthens the muscles of the foot, ankle, toes, calves. It is easier on your knees.

Basic Foot "Education" The more you know about the foot, shoe choices become a no brainer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jake Lawrance

I don't think you should be worried about maintaining supination, the foot naturally pronates and flattens to 'grip' the floor, then you push off.

By attempting to maintain your foot in a supinated position, you're leaving a weak spot and have attempted to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. Ever since the invention of pronation control and cushiony heels on running shoes, injuries rates in runners jumped up. Before that we basically wore daps/sneakers which are flat and thin, hardly any problems from running. Basically, what I'm trying to say is let your feet do what they want to do, don't restrict them cause they'll get pissed off  ;)

Lastly, walk barefoot around your house and invest in some thin/flat shoes for when the weather gets good  :)

Jake Lawrance

Another advocate for barefoot type shoes here.

How one walks when barefoot is the most natural walking gait we can have. It strengthens the muscles of the foot, ankle, toes, calves. It is easier on your knees.

Basic Foot "Education" The more you know about the foot, shoe choices become a no brainer.

Also, great link. Thanks for sharing  :D

Daniel Burnham

Also. For the people who don't want to wear ugly barefoot shoes everywhere, vivobarefoot makes some great casual barefoot shoes that are very comfortable. I wear a pair of their boots almost everyday. I love being able to use my foot!

• Upvote 2

Also. For the people who don't want to wear ugly barefoot shoes everywhere, vivobarefoot makes some great casual barefoot shoes that are very comfortable. I wear a pair of their boots almost everyday. I love being able to use my foot!

Ditto. Didn't want to go the whole hog with 5 fingers a couple of years back so I bought a pair of Vivobarefoot. I love them and even though they aren't as close to the feel of being barefoot like Vibrams they definitely helped bring back the sense of proprioception to my poor feet which as a consequence of me cloistering them away in office shoes for nigh on a decade had become weak. Also my left ankle was over pronating but it is, with the help of Kit's instructions on its way back to being fixed.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the input guys. My shoes perhaps weren't the problem of this issue, although the high heels don't do any good for sure. As now it is spring, I don't wear those shoes anymore and I am happy about that.

And I agree that walking barefoot is a good thing and I do it all the time at home or when I can.

What really is happening with my knees is the maltracking of the patella. I found it out when I went to see a doctor and when he tested me. My patellas are pulled laterally and I have to deal with that - my VMO is way more weaker than vastus lateralis. Interestingly enough, that results in the pain and degeneration of the medial side of the patella.

• 4 weeks later...
Bradley OConnell

I wear nothing but Merrell barefoot shoes, unless i cant help it. I love them. I normally don't tie them unless I go running.  I did 13 miles a few weeks ago with no problem.  

Douglas Wadle

Lems is another source of quality, normal appearing, shoes that support normal foot function.

• Upvote 1