Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted body weight exercises

Rubén Molina

Rubén Molina

Hi guys.

Do guys like Jake Dalton, Brandon Wynn and all those strong gymnast train with body weight and some plus weights?

Or they just do tons of push ups, pull ups, dips..

Thanks for your time and hope you can help me because i didnt find anything.

Connor Davies

Mostly they would train with advanced gymnastics strength elements like levers, press handstands, cross and rope climbing and such.

I heard that Chen Yibeng trained his routines with a 20kg weight around his waist, so that when he went to competition the routine would be effortless.

Daniel Burnham

Mostly they would train with advanced gymnastics strength elements like levers, press handstands, cross and rope climbing and such..

You know this for a fact? Most of the things you mentioned aren't advanced at all. Guys like he mentioned definitely did these through development and probably still do them for conditioning circuits but maximal strength at their level comes from doing strength routines. At least that is what Brandon Wynn has mentioned before.

Now of course to get even close to that level you would have to be able to master all of the things you mentioned.

A ton of push-ups and pull-ups only works for the extremely gifted. Guys like Hershel Walker. You need something more challenging. Weighted is one way but tends to lead to injury and doesn't lend itself for progression towards more complex moments as well. The best way I have found is progressively complex movements using less and less leverage.

Now eventually you might get to a point where it is hard to get more complex. Or you found that you need to strengthen a particular weak point weighted stuff is useful here but that is very far from where most people on this forum are. I'm talking about things like weighted maltese to make it easier to use multiple times in a routine. Or weighted leggless rope climbs once slow rope climbs get too easy and you want to work on bent elbow conditioning.

• Upvote 2

Christian Sørlie

Or weighted eggless rope climbs

This could be an interresting KoF challenge. I still need at least 2 eggs.

:-p

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

You know this for a fact?

I only meant to imply that they train with GST progressions, rather than simple weighted dips, pullups ect.