Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

crazy problem with hand placement and shoulder position

derpietrich

10 minutes ago i did a handstand in my room and my girlfriend noticed that there is something wrong with my hand placement and shoulder position...she made a picture and i tried to fix it...but everytime i kick in handstand i go naturally in this position....can anyone help me or tell what to do?

post-7549-0-85034100-1388779301_thumb.jp

post-7549-0-98788700-1388795039_thumb.jp

Mikael Kristiansen

If thats what you regularly do, then you need to address it. Its a habit, and it will take time to adjust. You need to be conscious of why and when you do it so you can get rid of it. Its quite a serious misplacement from parallel and your left hand is in front of the other, but as long as there is nothing in your joints that forces you to be like that, its simply something you work out through practising to do it correctly.

A simple thing you can do is to practice your kick ups with your hands already on the floor for a while so you get used to it. Many other ways to enter handstand require that never the less.

Your shoulders and upper back look ok in this picture so i would suspect that this handstand is decently aligned.

thanks for the quick answer handbalancer!;)

i was really scared that its something unfixable...im a beginner but i think my aligment is ok beside my outpopping chest...i attached a a picture to the first post of my current shape;)

i will try the kick up with hands on the floor thing;)

Mikael Kristiansen

As i thought, your alignment is great. Seen enough handstands now to tell by the look of your back in handstand. Your chest isnt sticking out too much at all here. What matters is that you have the amount of shoulder opening so that you are completely stacked on top of your arms and can work from your scapular muscles and upper back efficiently. If you had a shoulder mobility issue here, you would have a hard time keeping your hips and legs straight on top without arching. You can pull the sternum in a bit and elevate higher, but then you would have to watch out for piking. Either way, its a good handstand.

ok thanks for the feedback:)
im from germany and in my city gymnastics and handbalancing isnt that popular so there is no place beside a tricking class which is cool but they just dont do handstands at all....so its really nice to hear that im doing something right;)

sternum in means scalpular protraction? i just saw handstand tutorials from american gymnastic coaches and they always talk about chest in position and the kids have really flat chest in handstand so i thought i was doing it wrong.