Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't stop arching at the lower back during headstands.

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

Recent videos of my headstands have informed me that I can't stop arching at the lower back.  If I try, I just end up piking at the hips.  Can someone tell me how this correction is supposed to feel?  What muscles do I have to engage in order to straighten out my bodyline?

Richard Hamilton

Here's the link http://vimeo.com/79619483

Have a practise with some of the ppt exercises to get a feel for it. I initally found myself piking a bit and then overbalancing. Try stretching your hip flexors and quads out a bit more. You could also try going from anterior to posterior tilt while on your head to get a feel for it...

Ah, you beat me to it Jennifer. Your link didn't show up on my phone :)

that video is garbage. it's muddled with extraneous ideas about spiritual energy and new age mumbo jumbo. it's probably not going to help much with learning proper pelvic rotation either.

Richard Hamilton

that video is garbage. it's muddled with extraneous ideas about spiritual energy and new age mumbo jumbo. it's probably not going to help much with learning proper pelvic rotation either.

I thought the idea of the forum was to try and help each other and share our experiences, insights and findings? If you want to shoot down what other people share then go ahead but at least have the decency to share something positive yourself. You could have offered Bipocni your thoughts on how he could improve after saying that other offerings were crap. ;)

• Upvote 1

Colin Macdonald

Since the H1 mobility is all about reducing the arch, maybe the problem is there? Have you considered posting a video of your mobility elements?

i got a straight handstand by holding hollow body on the floor.u need to contract ur abs really hard and learn how you feel durning a straight handstand hold. after learning that you will feel some really good control at your handstand hold. you need to get your body in a position that you feel strong!