Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tristan Curtis

I enjoyed reading this thread. I too had a weight issue, or weight fluctuation mismanagement. I'd hover around 92kg and then drop to 80kg for a bit and then back up again, once or twice a year. I was following the csiro healthy eating plan on and off, it worked with the weightloss, but I was being inconsistent. I never felt complete or full or satisfied. For me, when I learned about intermittent fasting ( i did a google search of '171cm 71kg at 6% bf) because I wanted to see what someone at my height would look like at the weight that I thought would be ideal at 6%bf. and after following links I came across Leangains. I devoured the blog and started immediately. 

I live a fairly busy lifestyle and found that walking out the door in the morning without having breakfast was like finding another hour in the day to get work done. 

Long story short-

I've adapted to an eating plan of a 24 hour fast every second day, and a 16 hour fast every other day, with a late breakfast or early fast break at around 10-10:30 on Sundays, and usually a massive dinner with dessert. In the past I'd worked out my kj needs, but now I just have a look in the mirror and see if I need to be a little stricter for a few days, or continue. If I know I'm going out for a big weekend, I might do 2 or 3 24hr fasts consecutively to create a little deficit i can catch up on. 

I like to train fasted, but I have been having dinner early, and training later as of late, but either way I feel no real difference in performance. I usually mix some creatine with bcaa's and Ice cold water and I'll drink that over 2 hours or so at work.

In my profile pic I am 77 kg and a guess at bf would be 10-12% maybe more. I was following the training of navy seal workout-pyramid style pull ups, dips, push ups, core, run, swim. I did that for 2 years without a break. not even a deload week. I'd just started btgb for about 4-5 months when my left arm started aching and tingling, then one year of hell until surgery.

I haven't trained for 2 years now, started again 6 weeks ago. I had acdf to 2 levels, and now I'm determined to progress through a structured workout with real strength benefits but more importantly, mobility.

sorry to hijack your thread, but reading about your story got me all sentimental.

congratulations on your weightloss and new found physique, you should be proud of that.

Dave

• Upvote 2

Thanks! I went from 2,300kcal/day to 1,950kcal/day.

Wow, even your high calories seem low to me. I often wonder if I overestimate my calorie needs. 

Did you keep pretty much strict on your daily calories or did you throw in a day a in a week or month when you went higher?

Tristan Curtis

I've adapted to an eating plan of a 24 hour fast every second day, and a 16 hour fast every other day

Nice!

I enjoy fasting for short periods. I've started water fasting every Sunday, to make it a real rest day. I find it mega-rejuvenating.

Wow, even your high calories seem low to me. I often wonder if I overestimate my calorie needs. 

Did you keep pretty much strict on your daily calories or did you throw in a day a in a week or month when you went higher?

Yeah I wonder the same thing. I see so many here talk about 3,000cal days and don't understand how they stay lean.

My rationale is RMR 1,900kcal + 30min jogging + F1 = about 2,500kcal.

I had higher days once every 1-2 weeks most of the time.

Great stuff wheezer! I've been up and down in weight from 195 down to 160 and back up to 185 now. I find it hard with my current job to keep eating the way I did to get down to 160 in the first place and stay active at the same time. I'm determined to get back to a thinner stronger and healthier me though, just gonna take some time and motivation to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Upvote 1

How tall are you? Just out of curiosity and did you feel yourself progressing well through foundation while you did this? I just started eating the way I wanted to recently now that life has calmed down and I am in a similar boat as you were. 90ish kilos not sure what bf but definitely 20% or higher 184cm and although I don't calorie count I decided that I would guesstimate what I get on an average day and it was around 1900-2500 depending on the day which is basically what I want anyway. Your post has definitely given me hope as it is hard for me to lose weight. :)

Tristan Curtis

How tall are you? Did you feel yourself progressing well through foundation while you did this?

1) I don't calorie count I decided that I would guesstimate what I get on an average day

2) it is hard for me to lose weight.

I'm 179cm or 5'11. I did progress but very slowly. Every effort was about using my own fat as fuel.

Ever since I have switched to an anabolic window, my progress has been dramatically faster.

Looking at your quote above, maybe 1 is causing 2.  :)

No no You misunderstand i have found it difficult to lose weight in the past but ever since I just switched my diet and stop calorie counting its started to fall off slowly since Christmas Day when I started I can see quit a difference already. Conveniently my calories are about what I want regardless of me counting which is nice.

• Upvote 1

I was about to ask you for your diet plan noting that you are Veggie as well (I am) and then I saw this. 

This was my food/exercise routine six days a week:

6:30am: wake up, light stretching

6:50am: 1/2 cup mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries etc.), calcium and B12 supplement

7:00am: 30min run

7:45am: 30g pea protein isolate, 5g creatine monohydrate

8:00am: Foundation and Handstand training

9:30am: 30g pea protein isolate, 1/2 tbsp flax seed oil (for omega 3), 1/4 cup almonds, 1/2 cup raisins, 1 Brazil nut (for selenium)

1:00pm: 1 cup red lentils, 1 stalk broccoli, 1 green apple, 1 cucumber, 1 cup green peas

5:00pm: 100g tempeh, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 100g mixed greens, 100g green beans, 1 banana, 1 red bell pepper, 1 cup green peas

I am going to try and post my nutrition plan and see if that matches yours and JN's as well. 

Thanks for the props guys!

With a crapton of maltodextrin, dextrose monohydrate and pea protein isolate before, during and after each session. :)

The functional gains from using Naterman's workout nutrition plan have been instant and amazing. This one element I've been stuck on for a long time, I've made more progress in the last three sessions than in the previous three weeks.

That would be great to know when you get your DEXA scan. How much $$ is it? I did a bodpod one once for 30-50$. 

Absolutely. I don't know how much the visual/functional changes are muscle growth vs. fat loss. I did a DEXA scan in June, and will do another one soon, so it will be great to compare lean mass.

Yes, Josh's plan is for maximum muscle gain. My diet plan focused on vitamins/minerals and 2g/lb protein. It was easy for me because I didn't mind losing some muscle mass in the process. Whether I did or not, I don't know.

Go Veg! :) 

So are you vegetarian/vegan, or did you employ this diet for cutting bfat?

• 9 months later...
Tristan Curtis

That would be great to know when you get your DEXA scan. How much $$ is it? I did a bodpod one once for 30-50$. 

I'm sure DEXA scan price would vary depending on location. Where I live it's $75-100 per scan.

I did a follow-up scan four months ago - exactly a year later. The results were: bodyfat (-10kg), torso (+3.5kg), legs (-1kg), arms (no change). The torso gains were purely H1 & F1 work, as I didn't do anything else. Very happy!

Did you track how many calories you were burning during your workouts or did you only track the food you ate?

I have no idea how much H1/F1 burns. Although I remember someone on these forums wearing his HRM for an F1 session and reported his cal burned estimate.

My Garmin Forerunner tells me I generally burn 100cal per 10 mins, so from running that would be around 400-450 cal/day.

• Upvote 2

Marios Roussos

Here's the link to my post on the estimated calories burned during an F7 session. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14841-how-taxing-are-f1-workouts/#entry145022

Keep in mind this was a particularly hard session as I was on week 11 on five out of seven elements, and had never done an F7 workout before (I typically did a 4-day split back then). Working out during this period where I had plateaued on so many elements and was stuck on weeks 9 to 11 was so intense that I absolutely dreaded it. 

In the end, I think the intensity and frequency of the workouts may have been the cause of my multiple plateaus. I started mastering the elements one by one after dropping some of the intensity and moving to a 3-day split. I no longer dread my workouts *and* I get to do other intense sports at the same time. 

I can wear the HR monitor during some of my current workouts to estimate the calories burned in more typical foundation work if you're interested. 

Tristan Curtis

Yeah... recently my session has had two 5x15r elements switch to two 3x2r, and I'm sure it makes an overall massive different to energy expenditure. It certainly feels like it. It no longer burns up all the 70g insulin spike either.

Even just feeling my pulse, I can tell some of the more strenuous endurance work gets my heart racing more than the fastest runs.

The 3-day split sounds like a great idea. I think you should feel raring to go as a sign that you are properly rested. Otherwise you are spending energy training through fatigue rather than stimulating growth.

• 1 month later...

Yeah... recently my session has had two 5x15r elements switch to two 3x2r, and I'm sure it makes an overall massive different to energy expenditure. It certainly feels like it. It no longer burns up all the 70g insulin spike either.

Even just feeling my pulse, I can tell some of the more strenuous endurance work gets my heart racing more than the fastest runs.

The 3-day split sounds like a great idea. I think you should feel raring to go as a sign that you are properly rested. Otherwise you are spending energy training through fatigue rather than stimulating growth.

Hi Wheezer,

How did it go for the last months ?

Any more body comp improvement ? Any dietary changes ?

Tristan Curtis

Pretty much the same, a little up and down as I enjoy food and then rope back in. At one one point I weighed the amount of almonds I eat and was shocked at the cals. I cut them out and replaced with drizzles of flaxseed oil - much easier to lean down now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I lost track of forums due to crazy travel sched, but I want to put down my diet and get pointers from you and Joshua Nateman/ Slizzardman to see how I might fine tune it. 

Thanks! I went from 2,300kcal/day to 1,950kcal/day.

Nice!

I enjoy fasting for short periods. I've started water fasting every Sunday, to make it a real rest day. I find it mega-rejuvenating.

Yeah I wonder the same thing. I see so many here talk about 3,000cal days and don't understand how they stay lean.

My rationale is RMR 1,900kcal + 30min jogging + F1 = about 2,500kcal.

I had higher days once every 1-2 weeks most of the time.

I'm 179cm or 5'11. I did progress but very slowly. Every effort was about using my own fat as fuel.

Ever since I have switched to an anabolic window, my progress has been dramatically faster.

Looking at your quote above, maybe 1 is causing 2.  :)

Hmm.. So do the DEXA guys give you a BF % final total number as well or specific areas broken down like this only?  

I'm sure DEXA scan price would vary depending on location. Where I live it's $75-100 per scan.

I did a follow-up scan four months ago - exactly a year later. The results were: bodyfat (-10kg), torso (+3.5kg), legs (-1kg), arms (no change). The torso gains were purely H1 & F1 work, as I didn't do anything else. Very happy!

I have no idea how much H1/F1 burns. Although I remember someone on these forums wearing his HRM for an F1 session and reported his cal burned estimate.

My Garmin Forerunner tells me I generally burn 100cal per 10 mins, so from running that would be around 400-450 cal/day.

Hi Wheezer,

How did it go for the last months ?

Any more body comp improvement ? Any dietary changes ?

So from your Pics (your diet) to shifting to JN's diet to now.. what kind of Body Comp changes and performance changes have you experienced? 

Has one of the above been more difficult to SUSTAIN? 

PS: I am looking at having a strict diet for around 3-4 months to cut BF / Change BC, but after that I'd like keep something that sustains & survives with me long term. 

Pretty much the same, a little up and down as I enjoy food and then rope back in. At one one point I weighed the amount of almonds I eat and was shocked at the cals. I cut them out and replaced with drizzles of flaxseed oil - much easier to lean down now.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.