Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand progressions

Kenneth Manning

Kenneth Manning

I began adding handstand work to my FSP training. I started out doing the wall handstands with my stomach facing the wall and worked that position until I was able to hold my hands about 4 inches from the wall for 3 sets of 60 seconds.

In my last 2 workouts, I switched to kicking-up into a handstand (back facing the wall) and working to remove both feet from the wall and try to extend the time I can hold a free handstand. So far I kick up into a handstand (feet contacting the wall upon the kick-up), hold that position for 10 seconds or so, and then slowly remove my feet until I'm in a free standing handstand and simply try to maintain this position for as long as I can. Today, that worked out to 6 sets with 10 seconds feet-contact each set with an additional 3-5 seconds of freestanding handstand until I my balance was lost and I had to come down.

Does this sound like a good plan? It's funny, so far I've been thrilled with my progress, as just a couple of weeks ago I lacked the coordination to simply kick up into a wall supported handstand without losing my balance and falling to the side. Now it's 100% of the time I maintain my balance kicking up, and only lose it after working a few seconds free standing.