Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Backwards Roll Help

Jeff Walker

Brenda Weiss

I'd refer you back to the video tutorials I linked to above, where a version of a 'dream machine' assistance device  is used. There is definitely a tendency to want to arch and throw the legs back, such that Dave cues you to think of and look to  the toes directing the movement, and scooping forward. This helps prevent that flailing of the lower extremities as you roll back to support.

I am in no position to advise on these types of moves, they are still 'advanced' from my dim perspective/experience. More knowledgeable persons on this forum will usually suggest you are not properly prepared for the movement, and refer you back to more basic material. I would recommend getting a mat, though, as a sensible safety  precaution, you will probably be injured if you fall on that hard surface. 

I'd refer you back to the video tutorials I linked to above, 

I saw that before posting, but got a 'page not found' error on the first one.

you will probably be injured if you fall on that hard surface. 

is falling common? I generally train with the rings quite low to the ground so there's no big worry about having to catch myself and straining my shoulders or having to let go so I don't.

is it harder to safely bail out from a back roll than a back kip? (I'm wondering if sharing footage of my fails would be of value--it feels fine, but it probably looks a little risky in terms of shoulder joints)

Backwards and forward rolls/felges to support are very different. Forward roll to support isn't all that difficult and just a step past strict muscle-up.

Backward roll is quite a bit harder besides a lot easier to get lost while inverted.

Brenda Weiss

Try this link, above, instead of  the one that gave you a 404 /'page not found/ error above;  Also, there are 8 separate videos for these progressions,  and if you use the  same link that gives you'page not found', click on the  "videos" box and scroll thru it, you'll see all 8 videos listed.

I think falling on a mat is better than a hard surface, should be self evident. Obviously, it's up to you-your head is about 3 feet from the ground  in inversion, far enough to give you a nice subdural hematoma if you slip out, or worse. If you look at the other link I posted  for a crossfit headquarters video, you'll see that one can make errors, get the elbows away from your sides (as you do in your video), and risk losing control. This is probably one reason that the coach and others here don't suggest ring moves until mastery of other things on the floor and static devices is done.I share  your enthusiasm though, and am guilty of trying things that I(personally) am not really qualified or fully prepared to do. 

• 1 month later...

If you look at the other link I posted  for a crossfit headquarters video, you'll see that one can make errors, get the elbows away from your sides (as you do in your video), and risk losing control. 

well the first error is going to crossfit... ;)

you should see my fails compilation. never risked hitting my head, but, yea, when you lack the strength to pull tucked enough it's pretty much impossible to keep the elbows close.

Alessandro Mainente

do not forget that the teacher of the video was the 2007 US national all-around champion

• Upvote 1

Brenda Weiss

I think dave durante was USA champion that year; The video I was referencing was one from crossfit headquarters where a number of people were struggling, and Greg Glassman was stepping in with 'tips' that don't really make much sense (to me , anyhow). The utility of the video for me  was to reinforce the need for underlying strength and control of the movement. 

Again,  a mat wouldn't  be useless under the circumstances....

I think dave durante was USA champion that year; The video I was referencing was one from crossfit headquarters where a number of people were struggling, and Greg Glassman was stepping in with 'tips' that don't really make much sense (to me , anyhow). The utility of the video for me  was to reinforce the need for underlying strength and control of the movement. 

Again,  a mat wouldn't  be useless under the circumstances....

I tend to think of back kip as a progression towards back roll (since you get the momentum assist), but would you say someone shouldn't do it if they don't already have the strength for the roll, just because of the hazards of the movement? (I can easily imagine someone on high rings messing up their shoulder by failing the way my fails went)