Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blair's basic beginner newbie routine

Blairbob

I've responded in posts what I have thought the basic movements beginners should undertake. In fact, what I'm going to post is exactly what the basics I will be having( inflicting ) upon my beginner-ish boys upon the off-season.

By all means, you should read this first and buy the BtGB first if you're gonna follow it. What I propose is very broad and I'm not going to go through each progression of each movement system.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1047

It is also based a lot on this http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/home/publications/technique/2006/8/pdf/GetFit.pdf with some tweaks.

Static movements. Isometrics.

~Handstand. As in wall handstand.

~Headstand, should be done before HS. No biggie.

~Hang L. Eventually this will be Hang V. Basically follow the old Sommer Leg lift article. Start if necessary in tuck.

~Body Lever. Focus on just holding this completely inverted with a straight, hollow body. Really basic version is holding the hollow position on ground ( I start this by starting in a tuck and picking the head off the floor with the fingers pointing to the ceiling [ basically a crunch ] and then extending to a tuck position with hips and knees at 90 degree angles till it's in straight body )

~Superman position on a pommel horse or balance beam. This is the top of the reverse leg lift or hyper back extension. A super basic version would be holding the arch hold on ground.

~Tuck front lever, Tuck back lever. Doing skin the cats is one of the most basic things and it moves through these positions. This is merely stopping at those angles or doing negatives from an inverted tuck position.

~Bottom of single leg squat. This is merely learning how to get into the bottom of the single leg squat/pistol and holding the bottom and building the basic flexibility for it before we practice on lowering down or pushing out of it. If neccessary this is done with an assist by holding a post or spotter.

~Heel raise. This is a releve hold. Feet together, stand on the ball of your foot with straight legs. Modified holds are heels out (like a pidgeon), toes out (like a duck) and on one foot (like coupe in dance).

~Flex arm hang. This can be tough for beginners. I prefer they start with feet up on a block so they are in an L position and hold their head above the bar. Many are too weak to jump and hold this position or work negatives in the beginning or just untrained. I don't really care about over or undergrip. I tell kids to grab the rope in a hug by their chin and hold it for 5 with their legs around the rope. Hug the rope and hang on.

~Glute Ham. Secure the feet, squeeze the butt and abs and lower and hold.

~Planche position on single rail or floor. Basically they will assume a pushup position. Round out the shoulders (mad cat). Lean the shoulders over the hands and hold. This can also be done with feet propped up on a box or swiss ball. This is the predecessor to the frog stand but can be done in tandem.

~Basic support technique. Easiest is on a single rail or pommel horse, moving to parallel bars and rings. Super basic is pushup position or yoga reverse dog for training the kinders and unders with. L sit comes from this and starts out by tucking knees up.

~Straddle L

~Gymnastics demi plie position. It's our stick position. Butt back, arms straight out at horizontal. Knees together. Think of it sorta like a wall sit.

~Hand bridge.

Isokinetics, "dynamic" movement

~pullups

~pushups from incline to decline, from headstand to handstand piked on box as in the article to eventually using parallettes, pseudo planche pushups

~hanging leg lifts

~body lever lifts. first lower down, then from ground to invert

~reverse leg lifts

~skin the cats and variants

~glute ham raises

~pistols/single leg squats

~height jumps/drops

~lunges, these are sort of in our warmup/mobility though.

~heel raises/toe raises (stand on heel, raise toes)

~walking in support, shrugging, dipping, swinging

~seated straddle and pike leg lifts and holds, v-up and straddle ups from ground, doing them from hang as well

~rocking back and forth in bridge, on one hand or one foot, going from a head bridge to hand bridge, bridge kickovers, backbends, back walkovers/limbers and forwards.

~handstand head/shoulder/side tappers, shrugs doing them free, kicking to HS against wall/spotter, presses

Voila.

• 9 months later...
Quick Start Test Smith

Thanks for writing this post!

Is this a list of exercises or a routine? If it's a routine, each of the exercises should be done one after the other, right?

It's a list of exercises.

I leave programming up to the BtGB book. You'll see most, if not all of it in GB. It's in no particular order.

• 11 months later...

That's a nice list Bob, funny i've been here for getting close to a year, and haven't seen that one before, it should rear its head more often.

If I understand this correctly, should be mastering the HeS before practicing HSs? I'm looking at this from a FSP warmup perspective.

Brady, it might have been stickied at one point in time but it's more of a guide of what you should be doing or what you would be doing if you were one of my gymnasts.

Havoc, I teach the HeS concurrently with the HS. For example, say you are a 5-6yo boy and it's your first day of class. You learn the HeS scaled down to basically a headstand on your head in a pike pushup position and then right afterwards we go do wall HS. Every class, every day. Sometimes with a bit of variation, but pretty much it's one of the first skills we do after the warmup.

Same goes for girls.