Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movement Series Release

Mitchell Rabushka

I don't think in general we rag on it? I quite enjoy it and hang with some guys trying to make it work here. The conflict usually occurs when someone says its not gymnastics in some wording, and someone else takes that as a diminutive.

To paraphrase from the manna essay thread;

Is it difficult? Yes. Does it require serious amounts of strength, flexibility etc? Yes. Did it take a hell of a long time to develop and is it impressive? Yes.

Is it gymnastics? No. They're both the end result of logic chains beginning from quite distinct premises.

/2c

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

i think that kind of goes back to "is it traditional?" in martial art conversations, when discussing movement, discuss movement. when discussing lineage, discuss lineage and not get mis-communicated in a direction that probably both parties don't even need to go. 

edit: i mean that in good spirit because sometimes i would find myself being a part of a conversation that would eventually be steered off into "this is how it was traditionally done" and i'm like "but all I asked was how can i make this horse stance stop hurting my hips." 

a simple "externally rotate your femur/push your knees out" instead of taking a question on anatomical facilitation as a blatant disregard for respect. 

I'm not a gymnast and im sure a lot of people here aren't, but we are trying to get prepared like them. would you call that gymnastics? (this is an honest, no sarcasm question because i might be looking at this the wrong way.)

• Upvote 1

Matthew Proulx

I'm pretty curious as to what the movement series will involve, I'm quite content with F/H series ATM and with Rings coming up there will be a lot going on, hopefully M and R series are more like H series, because there's already so much to work on :)

M1 will be making an appearance in 2014. 

In the interim, come to a Seminar!  The students at the just past Miami Seminar got to discuss and actually see sections of the M1, M2 and M3.   :icon_cool:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

We are considering a very special 3 day event for May; although in Las Vegas, not AZ.  If it works out, this event would be unlike anything else we have ever offered.

I will keep you updated if all the various components come together.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6

Christopher Schwab

Now that sounds super exciting. I can only hope it's mid-May, many students and grad students have finals the first week or so.

But I would love to attend.

True, but gymnasts have to compete in 6 events, not just one.  Sure, the street workout guys are strong, but can they also balance and tumble?  Even if they can compete the exact same rings routine as a gymnast, the gymnast will get extra points for the dismount....

Some of the street workout athletes are gymnasts or ex-gymnasts and they can definitely tumble.

Some of the street workout athletes are gymnasts or ex-gymnasts and they can definitely tumble.

My understanding is that this is quite a few of the strongest guys; basically those who didn't quite make the cutoff for going onto elite competition streams as they got older. Or just didn't want to compete.

My understanding is that this is quite a few of the strongest guys; basically those who didn't quite make the cutoff for going onto elite competition streams as they got older. Or just didn't want to compete.

Yeah, that's what I assume too.

• Upvote 1

This an accurate assessment. The russian attitude towards gymnastics tends to be very different. There you are either good enough for national team or you are not. If not, many times there is no longer a place for you as you get older.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 3 months later...
Biren Patel

Any news about Movement One?  :)

Yes, it's being released tomorrow.

However, I am a Nigerian prince and will give you a discounted copy for just $50 USD.

• Upvote 5

Scott Malin

The first day of summer is June 21 so I think we will have to wait till June 20th. :-(

Such pessimists haha! The last couple releases weren't even at 11:59PM AZ time. :P

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
Karl-Erik Karlsen

What is the possible date for Stretch One? December 31st?
I'm really really looking forward to that one, I need a system for my pain. Or else I'm afraid it's just pain.

• Upvote 1

Bradley OConnell

I really can't wait for movement one.  It will give me something else to work on along with f1 and h1.  Hopefully it isn't June 20th.  It would make a great easter gift :)

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

LATE spring guys :D

We've to still waiting, but hey, spring is a glorious season where the times goes really fast!

Karl Kallio

This an accurate assessment. The russian attitude towards gymnastics tends to be very different. There you are either good enough for national team or you are not. If not, many times there is no longer a place for you as you get older.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Around here (Venezuela) its like that.  I don't know about Russia, but here its partially because gym space and gym equipment is so precious (for example the diving team has to share their trampoline springs to if they want to train in the local gym, they install them then take them out when they go to training camp in a different state).  There just isn't room and the coaches don't want to wear out the equipment on people who won't get them results (they get result bonuses not participation bonuses).  As soon as an athlete is no longer "good for" gymnastics they get shuffled.  If it's due to injury or attitude it's instantaneous, if it's for aptitude or age they're usually given a few months warning. 

On the bright side the ex-gymnasts get placed into other sports really fast.  There is a sort of draft where other sports are "given"  ex-gymnasts as a reward.  I was told my sport would have to hand in its paperwork on time and stop arguing in meetings if we wanted a bigger allotment.