Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movement Series Release

Mitchell Rabushka

What exactly does Movement entail?  I know details aren't really known at this point but I'm looking for a broader explanation.  Is it tumbling?  Floor exercises?  Acrobatics?  I'm just trying to understand the big picture.  The rings and handstand courses are pretty self explanatory, but movement seems vague to me.

Keilani Gutierrez

some dynamic stuff is already in the GB youtube channel, give yourself a tease and give them a look

Connor Davies

Apart from dynamic/explosive movements, anyone think any locomotion drills will be included?  For example on the GB youtube channel there's a handstand obstacle course.....

This was actually posted on the GB Facebook page:

Why settle for basic locomotion?

Movement training certainly begins with basic non-plyometric locomotion skills; however once you are strong enough, your training should progress onward to explosive and repulsive work.

So yes, I think there will be some locomotion in the Series.

Front and back limbers would be cool. They could also be included in F3 as a follow up to the bridge work found in F2. Or...

The possibilities are endless !

Tristan Curtis

once you are strong enough, your training should progress onward to explosive and repulsive work.

I'm already finding the first SL/PEs rather repulsive.

• Upvote 8

Mitchell Rabushka

Flying ABH = real Supermans :)

On a serious note, can't wait for the Movement Series to come out, but I wonder if there will be some threshold (Mastery?) that must be met in the F Series (F1, F2, etc) and H Series (H1, etc) before starting on it.

Christian Sørlie

Flying ABH = real Supermans :)

On a serious note, can't wait for the Movement Series to come out, but I wonder if there will be some threshold (Mastery?) that must be met in the F Series (F1, F2, etc) and H Series (H1, etc) before starting on it.

It's all in the GB curriculum thread. Search for it. M1 can be done immediately if memory server me.

I imagine swinging dip progressions will be somewhere in there. Maybe basic pommel horse drills like bucket circles as well.

Connor Davies

Flares would be cool, but I can't imagine how they would be trained directly from the floor, and Coach must understand we don't all have mushrooms.  Honestly, the equipment requirements are already getting ridiculous.

Can't complain about the results though.  ;)

Flares would be cool, but I can't imagine how they would be trained directly from the floor, and Coach must understand we don't all have mushrooms.  Honestly, the equipment requirements are already getting ridiculous.

Can't complain about the results though.  ;)

He's secretly trying to turn us into gymnasts by lying to us about the GST aspect of the curriculum. Once you complete it, the GB police comes to get you and forces you to become a gymnast. The evidence is all there, run before it's too late!

• Upvote 5

Connor Davies

How so?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Already the program requires a pullup bar with overhead clearance, parallel bars, stall bars, a pommel horse, rings, a weighted bar, adjustable dumbbells and I require a towel in order to soften the wall for the wrist prep in H1.

Obviously substitutions can be found for most of these things, but stall bars are rather hard to come by.  I'm having to have some custom made for me by a carpenter I know.

I only mention this because I know you train in an actual gymnastics facility, and you might not realise the lack of equipment most people have.  Again, I know that these things are necessary in order to train with the quality that you demand, but I (along with a lot of other people) originally got into bodyweight training because of its portability.  Designing portable freestanding stall bars is quite fun though.

I'm assuming other pieces of equipment will be required for future programs (like say, canes for H2/3) and I'm not complaining, but please don't make me build my own foam block pit....

• Upvote 2

Overhead bar= of course.

Parallel bars= make them for 40$ maximum from PVC pipe and gorilla glue.

Stall bar is nice, but not necessary. I use 2-4 elastic bands from Rogue Fitness to hold my shoulders in place (and a hell of a lot cheaper and easier).

You don't need a pommel...

Rings=of course, and just do all the dip stuff on the rings.

Weighted bar =get a regular bar and add stuff to it.

Get heavy stuff instead of dumbells.

Towels are impossible to come by. I almost quit because they are too expensive.

• Upvote 5

Already the program requires a pullup bar with overhead clearance, parallel bars, stall bars, a pommel horse, rings, a weighted bar, adjustable dumbbells and I require a towel in order to soften the wall for the wrist prep in H1.

Obviously substitutions can be found for most of these things, but stall bars are rather hard to come by.  I'm having to have some custom made for me by a carpenter I know.

I only mention this because I know you train in an actual gymnastics facility, and you might not realise the lack of equipment most people have.  Again, I know that these things are necessary in order to train with the quality that you demand, but I (along with a lot of other people) originally got into bodyweight training because of its portability.  Designing portable freestanding stall bars is quite fun though.

I'm assuming other pieces of equipment will be required for future programs (like say, canes for H2/3) and I'm not complaining, but please don't make me build my own foam block pit....

I am aware that for many who train at home the equipment requires some forethought.  However most of the equipment needs are easily attained.

Essential items:

Pullup bar with overhead clearance, yes.  Note that an adjustable doorway chinup bar, while inconvenient, is workable.

Rope, yes.  (Deal with it.  :icon_twisted: )

Stall bars - not only yes, but emphatically yes.  You may make you own, purchase manufactured or find a substitute (ladder, playground equipment etc); but however you manage it - these are essential.

Rings, yes.

Weighted bar or dowel, yes.

Adjustable dumbbells, yes.

Assorted bungees, straps and cords, yes.

Parallel bars, no; although dip station, yes.

Pommel horse/mushroom/ege trainer - not essential, but nice to have.  I taught all of my athletes circles and flairs on the floor.  In fact they even had to perform magyars (traveling circles) across the floor as a part of their conditioning when they were young.  If your wrists are not yet tough enough to handle this, then a small stack of carpet sample squares (3-6 pieces) from a carpet store makes a great substitute for a mushroom.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Stall bar is nice, but not necessary. I use 2-4 elastic bands from Rogue Fitness to hold my shoulders in place (and a hell of a lot cheaper and easier).

Interesting.  Please post some photos of your set up when you get a chance.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1