Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frogstand to Handstand press help

ImaginaryTurtle

ImaginaryTurtle

Trying to press into a handstand from a frogstand but can't seem to get up there. I can already do a frogstand to headstand press if that helps but other than that, any tips to achieve the strength for frogstand to handstand??

I assume you've already got a handstand? If so, do negatives from handstand to frogstand to get started, and in broader terms works on your pushing strength.

The problem could be a lack of lean causing your center of mass to be too far behind your base, a lack of pushing strength, balance technique or more. It would help if you had a video to see what's wrong.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin Witkowski

I have been having the same problem.  If my arms are too straight, I can't keep my center of gravity over my hands. If my arms are too bent, I can't press out of it and maintain my balance.  

What I do is more of a dynamic movement.  I start off in crow, then in one big push I throw myself into a handstand and hope for the best.  

I have got it before, but I usually end up underbalanced and come down on my feet.

Good luck!

Eddie Stelling

At first you don't realize how far forward your head needs to travel in front of your hands for HeSPUs and for bent arm presses to handstand. You have to get comfortable/strong with what feels like "the weight out in front of you". Don't start pushing up until you have your hips close to stacked above your shoulders, then push while you finish stacking the hips over the shoulders. And if you don't have a legit handstand it will make all this harder.

Watch Phillip in the below video. Granted the press in this video is more advanced but it's the same concept and it's clean as hell so you can really see what I am talking about. Notice how long he hangs out with his head/weight in front of the hands while he is moving the hips over his shoulders, thennnnn he starts to add the pushing into it.

• Upvote 2