Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the main cause of Gymnasts insane shoulder development? [Pics]

Shia

I am always impressed by them, also their bicep growth seems to always be well above average!

black%2Bgymnast.jpg

and this one in partciular always impresses me. His biceps are incredible

gymnastic-muscles-public-domain.jpg

Kate Abernethy

Ha ha ha!

And to the original question: because there's so much movement based upon the shoulder joints as pivots I guess.

• Upvote 1

Ha ha ha!

And to the original question: because there's so much movement based upon the shoulder joints as pivots I guess.

LOL, she liked her own post.

Straight arm strength training is usually given credit for the biceps growth. Think it would be hard to isolate any one thing on the shoulders.

Coach mentioned that up to crosses etc will definitely provide strength and growth, but that it was when the maltese position (and of course the more difficult staight-arm transitions possible with it) became more popular (practically mandatory?) the substantially more muscled image we see today become more prevalent; suddenly all the rings guys were growing and growing. I found that interesting.

He mentioned in passing wondering whether as people begin to develop effective programs to train a Victorian a similar jump in str/muscularity would follow. Guess it's gonna be a few more years before we find out on that one.

Daniel Burnham

LOL, she liked her own post.

Straight arm strength training is usually given credit for the biceps growth. Think it would be hard to isolate any one thing on the shoulders.

Coach mentioned that up to crosses etc will definitely provide strength and growth, but that it was when the maltese position (and of course the more difficult staight-arm transitions possible with it) became more popular (practically mandatory?) the substantially more muscled image we see today become more prevalent; suddenly all the rings guys were growing and growing. I found that interesting.

He mentioned in passing wondering whether as people begin to develop effective programs to train a Victorian a similar jump in str/muscularity would follow. Guess it's gonna be a few more years before we find out on that one.

This will be interesting to watch.  I think it is probably due to the transitions we are seeing now between hold elements.  I mean it takes a lot of shoulder and chess to roll from cross to maltese and then to press into an invert cross.  People are doing these things pretty smoothly now.  If you look at gymnastics years ago you won't see too much of this.  

• Upvote 1

ForzaCavaliere

It makes you wonder where the limit is though. 

The average level of gymnasts keeps getting higher and higher (relatives to the past); are they showing any signs of slowing down? 

Also to OP, living on the rings where your arms control all movements is guaranteed to make your shoulder's work hard.