Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Integrated Training (statics + dynamics) question?

ForzaCavaliere

ForzaCavaliere

I was reading BtGB and, being the foreigner I am, found it difficult to understand the entire section regarding program design. 

Would anyone be able to explain how they include isometric training (for the fundamental static positions) in their training (assuming they include a lot of dynamic movement)? 

Also, unrelated, but is this a move on the rings: start in back lever position, and perform bodyweight curl while keeping the body horizontal, and then push into planche position? 

Another unrelated question, but why is it that many of the street workout athletes look a lot musclier than gymnasts? Not necessarily that they look stronger but certainly they seem like bodybuilders. 

I'm talkin' bout HannibalForKing vs Ivan Ivankov here. 

H4K

tumblr_m5cn8m8YmF1r827vgo1_500.jpg

The Ivankov machine 

867371.1135994100063.Ivan_Ivankov_-_podi

EDIT: Not really the best example for what I meant, looks like Ivan could rip H4K in 2 here. But, in general, a lot of the street workout dudes have different body proportions to gymnasts even though both do calisthenics.

youtube.com/watch?v=aH7ob38sGN8

That video has what you're describing.

It can also be done with straight arms, but that's insanely hard and is an F level skills on the rings.

• Upvote 1

ForzaCavaliere

In those videos the guys never seem to go into a straight arm back lever, is there some shoulder thing getting in the way of it? 

Thanks for replies, guys. 

But the main point of my post was pretty much ignored, does anyone have any tips for integrating static hold training in their overall training schedule?

From what I understand this integrated training is more for intermediate or above strength ( basically The stuff you work on after foundation) but I know before foundation series came out there were quite a lot of threads on integrated training if you search for them there might be something useful. I am afraid I don't know much about it sorry for not being able to help. :(

Try searching through some threads from before foundation series came out though or maybe someone else will chime in.

Connor Davies

You shouldn't be reading BtGB, you should be doing F1.  A lot of people were confused about the programming in BtGB, and F1 was created specifically to address those problems (among others.)

Look up Killroy70 if you want to see a good example of how to apply the advice given in BtGB.

• 1 year later...

This post is about 2 years ago but I'll try to answer some of your questions anyways, if you still want some answers. (Sorry if this becomes a  long reply; it's 3:00 am and I can't sleep lol)

1) If you're at an intermediate/advanced level, you can try doing the FSP first before your dynamic movements (part of this is thanks to Killroy). You want to do this in the beginning because it can be taxing especially if you try doing the FSP in the middle or at the end of your workout. It's better to practice the FSP when you have the most energy (the beginning). Obviously if you're a beginner you have to build strength/ foundation first before tackling the basic static positions; foundation series will help a lot. How you structure it is up to you, if you're not following the Foundation series. Like everyone else is saying, Killroy has a great template on structuring FSP with dynamic movements.

2) This is an advanced movement so I can't say anything. Sorry :(

3) This is what I observed; the reason why street workout athletes have more aesthetics than gymnasts is because they are working at a higher rep range than gymnasts. Specifically, they take FBE like push ups, dips, pull ups, handstand push ups, etc. and work them up to a rep range similar to that of body builders; not to mention that they use weights in their body weight exercises. Gymnasts don't do this because they use more difficult progressions to get stronger instead of weights and high rep ranges. A gymnast can go into the high rep ranges of those FBE but they don't need to. They already have the strength. Truth be told street workout athletes are more similar to bodybuilders than gymnasts; both incorporate high rep ranges and have decent bent arm strength, but their static arm strength is questionable. Both in the end only work on aesthetics. For bodybuilders it's their bodies, and for street workout athletes it's the flashy moves; they end up becoming aesthetically pleasing in the process due to their workout templete. It's very rare to see a street workout athlete with a correct front lever/planche, and even rarer to see them do gymnastic skills like the iron cross, maltese or victorian (with correct form). Their forms are okay, and they are strong, but it's far from correct. Hannibal is indeed impressive no question. But, if I had to choose, I'll go with Ivan because his/any gymnast's bodyweight/strength ratio is more balanced than Hannibal/any street workout athlete. Plus, L-sit close grip muscle-ups are nothing compared to the iron cross, although both are impressive in their own right. But both athletes represent the cream of the crop in their respective fields; genetics does play a role in body structure and you will likely look different from them both. But, it's all about strength, not looks. Aesthetics are the results of training, not the goal.