Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU

JoeyMorgan619

JoeyMorgan619

Hey guys,

I just want to start by saying I am a beginner as far as gymnastics is concerned.  I am more into weightlifting.  However, I still love doing calisthenics and recently I have started trying to do handstands as well as a couple HSPUs.  I have gotten to the point where I can consistently hold free standing handstands for 20+ seconds.  I am now trying to work towards the HSPU.  However, I lose my balance any time I try to do it with the exception of an occasional fluke.  Any tips on how to progress from my current stage?

Thanks

Connor Davies

Two things I can think of:

1. What's your handstand line like?

2. Have you got any other press handstands under your belt?

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in with specific advice.

JoeyMorgan619

1, I'm not sure what you mean.  My back is arched though if that's what you're talking about.

2. Not that I know of

Thanks for the reply!

Yaad Mohammad

I'd work my way up to consistent 1 minute holds and just mess around in the handstand, try pressing into it, walking in it, tapping shoulders. Also, I strongly recommend working on your handstand line.

Murray Truelove

For improving your handstand line you can use a wall - walk up the wall into a handstand with your chest facing the wall, try to walk you hands back close to the wall as you can. You should aim the get the heel of your hand just a few inches from the wall, this will be hard at first as you improve your body line it will get easier - Have fun!

Benjamin Witkowski

I think you are trying to do headstand pushups.

You need to work on two things, handstand technique and overhead pressing strength.  

For your overhead pressing, I would suggest that you read the other threads on this, but start with a box that is about 3-4 feet high.  With your feet on the box, your hands on the ground, and your hips in a pike position, work on your pushup form, moving up and down with as little flare in your elbows as possible.

I also do kettlebell presses, but with any more than two 35 lb kettlebells, I can't keep my elbows from flaring out.