Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

consistently getting into a handstand

palmcron

Hi,

Whenever I kick up into a handstand, I land only about 50% of it in a balanced handstand. All the other tries I have too much or too less momentum and fall.

Are there any exercises to improve this rate and hit ideally 100%?

Or is it just doing it many many times and generally gaining strength and a feeling for balance?

I guess the best way to hit 100% is to learn a press handstand, as there is no momentum involved, but I'm not strong and flexible enough yet.

Richard Duelley

To learn the kick up you just need to practice A LOT. In my opinion the kick up is the hardest part of a handstand.

matthew.percussion

Yep, it's all about repetition for the kick up.

I can't do my press HS yet but it's getting close. Try doing a jump press HS. it's like the best of both worlds, also, go as slow as you can.

Good luck!

Try kicking and only let the momentum carry one feet into the handstand and then lift the other one slowly once you got the balance.

kick the 1st leg at vertical and the second just short. Squeeze your glutes and tighten up your abs as you kick the first leg. If you enter the HS with a shoulder angle, it will create an arch in your back.

Olivier 2 GA
If you enter the HS with a shoulder angle, it will create an arch in your back.

And how can one manage to have straight back? Is there any exercice to practice to bring straight back close to 90° angle with the floor?

Olivier

Headstand teaches this to some degree as does wall HS. If you have a shoulder angle in your HS because of lack of shoulder flexion that's kind of just life.

Another drill is to lay completely flat on your front. Now squeeze your butt and try to suck your belly button off the floor. This is the hollow position you need your back to be in during a HS.

Olivier 2 GA

Thank you for the tips…

I realise that I don’t have that much shoulder flexibility… Need more wall extensions! :wink:

Olivier