Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unstable Strength With The Planche

Yaad Mohammad

Connor Davies

Mastery-Curve.png

This is the reason we have deload weeks.  Professional athletes can actually manipulate these variables to have peak performance come at competition time, although I have no idea how they do this...

My max at the moment with proper form is 15 seconds. Would you recommend me to start training with advanced tuck? Say, 5*8s within 20 minutes and build my way up to 5*30s?

That would make more sense since you've already pretty much mastered tuck planche.

Joshua Slocum

That would make more sense since you've already pretty much mastered tuck planche.

'Pretty much mastered' is not the same as 'actually mastered'. 

'Pretty much mastered' is not the same as 'actually mastered'.

Well, he already has a 60 sec tuck and can hold advanced tuck for a reasonable amount of time, so it doesn't make sense for him to stay on tuck.

I also don't think it has anyhing to do with CNS fatigue with this type of training. I think performance on advanced and high levels of any activity is like hiking from a high mountain top to another: Sometimes the only way to go is down.

Now you just happen to be in a regression valley. The only inaccuracy with the presentation below is, that it assumes you are practicing with a coach all the time, and this is why the regression parts are consistent in length. However, not having consistent coaching will most probably cause you to be more stuck in some mental blind spots and wrong thinking patterns for a longer time.

The higher your level, the longer you will probably get stuck in these valleys between your phases of highest achievement.

As a semi-professional violinist I can assure you this happens with professional classical musicians all the time!

I would recommend making your first priority something completely different of the planche, and just have light work on it. Then come back after you have achieved more skill in this other area, and you might just notice an increase in performance you really can't explain.

Mastery-Curve.png

VERY interesting! I've always wondered why I start making good progress then seem to take one step back before taking another 4 forward! Thanks for the graph!

To OP, it could be many things. Overtraining, poor nutrition (or just lack of), lack of sleep, etc.

Yaad Mohammad

I decided to take a week pause. Stretching, massages, a lot of nutrition and cold showers. I'll keep you guys updated if it works, if it doesn't I'll continue my training hoping I will be able to do it again.

Daniel Burnham

I decided to take a week pause. Stretching, massages, a lot of nutrition and cold showers. I'll keep you guys updated if it works, if it doesn't I'll continue my training hoping I will be able to do it again.

I wouldn't completely take off. This will detrain you. Generally you should cut volume not intensity during a deload but since you are training at what seems to be to much intensity I would cut back on both. So maybe 3x20 adv tuck planches. Cut other things similarly.

Yaad Mohammad

I wouldn't completely take off. This will detrain you. Generally you should cut volume not intensity during a deload but since you are training at what seems to be to much intensity I would cut back on both. So maybe 3x20 adv tuck planches. Cut other things similarly.

Alright, sounds good. But you mean 3x20 tuck planches right? Because my max advanced tuck planche is 15 sec.

Aaro Helander

I agree on this. Lyle Mc also states in one of his articles that some many athletes find even one complete day off (cutting any type of conditioning) draining their performance.

• Upvote 2

Yaad Mohammad

I agree on this. Lyle Mc also states in one of his articles that some many athletes find even one complete day off (cutting any type of conditioning) draining their performance.

Interesting, I did take a week off from my training, maybe that is the reason why I lost so much progress?

Yaad Mohammad

I gained some of my planche strength back from the rest. Jus tried a planche lean and I came very close to the first video. I'm going to start my planche training again on Friday.

• Upvote 2