Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

Slow and steady, do not rush this process. Flexibility and mobility have their own time tables, they are not strength elements. Don't stress it, do what you can and really pushing it to hard will cause an inhibition and slow you down.

• 2 months later...

I've been using these as a stretching warmup sequence. Though with a stop on specific points  from head and back and feel it's a great routine to warm up too. However, is this recommendable?

Keilani Gutierrez

is there a video on how to properly excecute the dorsal grip dislocate? i dont think im doing it properly :/

Boban Ilievski

I think the Coach's description is clear enough:

- "To perform the dorsal grip, simply grip the belt behind your glutes with your hands turned thumbs out, as though you were going to do a curl. As you move your shoulders over the top, your forearms will rotate outward and place you in a dorsal grip."

• Upvote 1

Meant to ask this a while ago, slipped my mind.

On reaching that benchmark 1.5 times shoulder width or less, would one (specifically this one) prioritise adding small amounts of weight, working the hands still closer together, or perhaps both?

Joshua Slocum

Weight isn't going to help with the stretch, since the weight provides force downwards, whereas the stretch is inwards. Focus on (very slowly) inching your hands inwards. 

• Upvote 1

Weight isn't going to help with the stretch, since the weight provides force downwards, whereas the stretch is inwards. Focus on (very slowly) inching your hands inwards. 

Gotcha. Cheers.

Hang on, I 'm still a little unclear. Where does the benefit of a weighted bar fit into this? And since I'm working at a reasonable level on this stretch, will I benefit from using something heavier than a dowel rod?

Joshua Slocum

I'm not quite sure myself why it's recommended. My guess is that when you have really good inlocate/dislocate flexibility, the weight helps you with developing strength in those area to develop dynamic flexibility. 

Coach says in the opening post that his advanced athletes use weighted bars. I think a benefit would be gaining strength in that ROM. It's all well and good having the mobility but if you don't have the strength to use that mobility then it's not worth having it. I assume working with a weighted bar would let you gain strength at end ROM. I didn't have access to a belt for dislocates at the start of my training a week or two ago and I tried it with a piece of scaffolding and it was massively harder. It probably only weights 3 kg and by 10 reps I had a massive cramp in all my shoulders. I was gripping at way more than 2 x shoulder width - a distance I can do unweighted.

So I think you would benefit.

It doesn't help with the stretch, but like I said will probably help with the strength and active range of motion (maybe good for manna work?).

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
Tristan Curtis

Tried this with a towel first time this morning. I'm hooked. My dislocate is currently about 2x shoulder-width.

Is there any harm in doing 10 reps every day? I'm going to be careful working my way to a narrower grip.

I tried doing them daily and found they stagnated a bit. I don't find too much benefit in doing them more than three times a week, although I work them quite hard (for me) on those days.

Mm. Makes sense. Thanks again, Ill try this stretch with weight later this evening and report my impressions.

Also, thanks for the bump wheezer. How's that, from 2x shoulder width with an unweighted dowel to just outside shoulder width + 25lb in 7 months? :) :) :)

Edit;

More like 4 months actually, but I think this may be the very first time I tried them. No matter where you start, don't get discouraged :)

• Upvote 3

Tristan Curtis

2x shoulder width with an unweighted dowel to just outside shoulder width + 25lb in 7 months? :) :) :)

Challenge-Accepted-Barney-Stinson.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tristan Curtis

So y'know, while 25 is a lot for you and me it's really not for others

My long-term goal is manna dislocate to handstand. Sometime before then, 25lb will feel like nothing. B-)

• Upvote 2

FREDERIC DUPONT

My long-term goal is manna dislocate to handstand. Sometime before then, 25lb will feel like nothing. B-)

I'll be watching :)

• Upvote 1

Can somebody please explain the difference between regular and dorsal grip, in terms of how they actually affect the shoulder (ie. which muscles are stretched)?  When is it best to focus on regular grip or dorsal grip? Thanks!

Tristan Curtis

Edit;

More like 4 months actually, but I think this may be the very first time I tried them. No matter where you start, don't get discouraged :)

Congrats! Enjoy the progress. :)

Connor Davies

Can somebody please explain the difference between regular and dorsal grip, in terms of how they actually affect the shoulder (ie. which muscles are stretched)?  When is it best to focus on regular grip or dorsal grip? Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by dorsal grip, but generally speaking an undergrip (supinated) externally rotates your shoulder, screwing the glenohumeral joint into place.  It tightens up the muscles and creates a more stable platform for pushing / pulling from.

I'm not sure why you would want to train dislocates in this manner.  I know it's harder.

I'm not sure what you mean by dorsal grip, but generally speaking an undergrip (supinated) externally rotates your shoulder, screwing the glenohumeral joint into place.  It tightens up the muscles and creates a more stable platform for pushing / pulling from.

I'm not sure why you would want to train dislocates in this manner.  I know it's harder.

Thanks for your response.  Coach describes a dorsal grip in the original post - it's when you start with the bar behind your back and hold with a supinated grip (palms forward), as opposed to a regular dislocate where you begin with the bar in front of your body and hold with a pronated (palms backward) grip.

Hopefully I've got this right.

So does anybody know the difference between what is actually worked with these two variations?  Thanks

In a non-anatomical way, the regular ones require more rotation while the stick is in front, the dorsal requires more rotation in back. Plus the whole wrist flexibility thing, which is not insignificant.

I also find the dorsal ones put a touch more pressure on my elbows, but this might be a byproduct of shoulder tightness.

Bill Köhntopp

everytime i tried shoulder dislocates but my neck feels crampy doing these also feels tired very fast, can't describe it better, anyone else with that? what can i do to? also when i do arm swings/circles it appears :(

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic