Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

Bill Köhntopp

Possible solution: 1. Don't squeeze/flex the muscle when doing the arm circles.

i tried, but seems my neck/trapezius is the hardest muscle on my body...its automatically activated when doing arm circles...how do you not flex it?! feels like my neck/trapezius is too big and gets squeezed to hard from bringing the shoulder together at the back...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.  what i do now is wrap my thumb and index around the pole and pivot when i go from front to back and vice versa, seems to work good.

No problem. When I do dorsal dislocates my hand wraps around the underside of the pole when I go from back to front

i tried, but seems my neck/trapezius is the hardest muscle on my body...its automatically activated when doing arm circles...how do you not flex it?! feels like my neck/trapezius is too big and gets squeezed to hard from bringing the shoulder together at the back...

My trapezius muscles would do the same as your if I continued to retract shoulder blades together. Doing basic arm circles does work the trapezius muscles anyway. Try doing arm circles without retracting your shoulders blades. I deal with some discomfort in the trapezius muscles when doing and for a short time after doing dorsal and standard shoulder dislocates.

Will weighted dislocates help with flexibility or is that for strength only?

I havent tried it yet but it almost seems like added weight can help force the stretch at the bottom, where my fingers start to come off, instead of me pulling them in with my shoulders.

Maybe im completely off, i dont know, but i cant test it until i get home in a days so i figured id ask.

For overgrip dislocates, your fingers should not be coming off the bar at all. The rotation should be in your shoulders. If you can't hold it, go wider until you can. Your grip should be unchanging throughout the whole movement. Different for dorsal grip.

Weighted dislocates are both strength and flexibility. A light weight is the place to start, with gradual increase. It's far more productive to train it with a kg or two than no weight at all.

Joshua Slocum

Different for dorsal grip.

Huh? I'm pretty sure that you want to maintain your hold on the bar for both the overgrip and the undergrip. 

Huh? I'm pretty sure that you want to maintain your hold on the bar for both the overgrip and the undergrip.

Of course, but the bar does sort of pivot around the wrist although the grip doesn't move :)

For overgrip dislocates, your fingers should not be coming off the bar at all. The rotation should be in your shoulders. If you can't hold it, go wider until you can. Your grip should be unchanging throughout the whole movement. Different for dorsal grip.

Weighted dislocates are both strength and flexibility. A light weight is the place to start, with gradual increase. It's far more productive to train it with a kg or two than no weight at all.

I dont think i have a bar long enough for that, my broom handle is only so long lol. Actually i dont think going wider will help me, im already super wide so i feel the angle of my wrist wont work regardless. I think i just need to keep working on it.

I have 2.5lb wrist weights and 5lb ankle weights i can use to weight it. Should i start with the 2.5 or 5lb?

Joshua Slocum

Of course, but the bar does sort of pivot around the wrist although the grip doesn't move :)

I don't think you want to let your wrists bend - I think you're supposed to keep them extended. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean, though.

So weighted dislocates are the way to go? Start light then build up gradually? How far in do you usually go before going heavier, 1.5 shoulder width?

Joshua Slocum

I don't think you want to let your wrists bend - I think you're supposed to keep them extended. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean, though.

I did these during practice yesterday. The wrists definitely should not bend when behind or above you, but I think they will inevitably bend as the bar descends in front of you. Even the athlete in the demonstration video does this. 

So weighted dislocates are the way to go? Start light then build up gradually? How far in do you usually go before going heavier, 1.5 shoulder width?

Yes, they are definitely the way to go. Start with only ~3-5# and build up from there. Get to the point where the space between your hands is about equal to your shoulder width before adding more weight. Make sure to do them with both under and over grip!

• Upvote 1

I did these during practice yesterday. The wrists definitely should not bend when behind or above you, but I think they will inevitable bend as the bar descends in front of you. Even the athlete in the demonstration video does this.

Yes, they are definitely the way to go. Start with only ~3-5# and build up from there. Get to the point where the space between your hands is about equal to your shoulder width before adding more weight. Make sure to do them with both under and over grip!

Yes, we are on the same page, my communication is just failing ^_^

Bill Köhntopp

No problem. When I do dorsal dislocates my hand wraps around the underside of the pole when I go from back to front

My trapezius muscles would do the same as your if I continued to retract shoulder blades together. Doing basic arm circles does work the trapezius muscles anyway. Try doing arm circles without retracting your shoulders blades. I deal with some discomfort in the trapezius muscles when doing and for a short time after doing dorsal and standard shoulder dislocates.

I tried it yesterday and it worked for me. My arm circles weren't as big as usual but my trapezius wasnt cramping :)

• Upvote 1

ok so after doing forward dislocates i noticed my wrists feel like the tight link.  no matter how wide i go its the wrist that feel the most tension to the point of hurting when i really push against it.

anybody else have this happen?  it doesnt do this when i do dorsal, dorsal are all shoulder and i can move my hands much closer in than when going forward.  weird.

ok so after doing forward dislocates i noticed my wrists feel like the tight link.  no matter how wide i go its the wrist that feel the most tension to the point of hurting when i really push against it.

anybody else have this happen?  it doesnt do this when i do dorsal, dorsal are all shoulder and i can move my hands much closer in than when going forward.  weird.

I deal with a little bit of tension also. However I think that comes about because we are conditioning the wrist joint in a manner that we normally wouldn't on a regular basis.  I feel more tension in my right wrist than my left.

• Like 1

Joshua Slocum

Stretching out your wrists a bit more beforehand could help. But if they're your weakest link, then they're you're weakest link. Push hard but don't over-work them. Eventually they'll acclimate and you'll be able to start moving your hands in. 

I did the dislocate with slightly bent arms and found out it stretches the front deltoid and the pec minors. I know I'm not supposed to do this with bent elbows but locking them hurts my joint. If I lock my elbows and pretend I don't have joint problem for a second, the exercise stretches muscles in the back, especially near the top of my shoulder blades. It feels to me trying the in/dislocate exercise with straight arms and bent arms accomplishes two jobs. Why is that? I think bent elbows has some merits.

I suppose that 2x/week weighted and 2x/week unweighted dislocates would be too much?

It would be for me. 3x a week is my absolute limit and my progress is better on 2x. That's for actual improvement. The dislocate motion, with a towel or something, can be done as limbering daily if you choose. But really pushing to improve ROM / weight more than 3x is fairly hardcore IMO.

• Upvote 3

Thanks Jon! I will keep weighted ones for H1 days and limbering for the others!

I actually like to do light ones with a towel before I jump in the shower. It's an odd little habit but it keeps em loose.

Of course you can do whatever you can handle, but that's what works for me and I saw steady improvement sticking strictly to a couple hard days a week when I was focusing on building these.

• Upvote 1

I actually like to do light ones with a towel before I jump in the shower.

Haha, when I get OUT of the shower I do HBP/PE 21 >iM

• Upvote 1

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic