Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

everytime i tried shoulder dislocates but my neck feels crampy doing these also feels tired very fast, can't describe it better, anyone else with that? what can i do to? also when i do arm swings/circles it appears :(

Add weight, it will make you stronger.

Keilani Gutierrez

everytime i tried shoulder dislocates but my neck feels crampy doing these also feels tired very fast, can't describe it better, anyone else with that? what can i do to? also when i do arm swings/circles it appears :(

same here! if you start with the first two iM's in H1, i can't say it might for you specifically (i used to get cramped where the levator scapula inserts into my neck) sometimes it felt like my head was being pulled into my shoulder through under my skin...same type of cramp?

Bill Köhntopp

maybe...feels like the neck muscle itselfs gets crampy in the way that it's pulling my head back, it feels tight but as i write about it, i noticed that feeling very often when playing football, everytime i was running with high speed for a sprint - so there must be a relation to that feeling with moving arms/shoulders...

Is there a video or photo of dorsal grip? I understand the description posted here, but when I attempt it, it seems so weird that I can't tell if it's done right.

Keilani Gutierrez

Is there a video or photo of dorsal grip? I understand the description posted here, but when I attempt it, it seems so weird that I can't tell if it's done right.

go to post #65 where Wheezer posts a photo of colonel of awesome himself, Neil Patrick Harris, see how he's holding his umbrella? change your grip to face forward and dislocate. that's the dorsal grip type dislocate.

Yup, that's dorsal grip.  Much harder.  I honestly can't train dorsal grip dislocates because I don't have anything with a wide enough grip...

Bill Köhntopp

Yup, that's dorsal grip.  Much harder.  I honestly can't train dorsal grip dislocates because I don't have anything with a wide enough grip...

Two towels = 1 long towel ;)

Do some normal grip first to get everything rotating ,and retract your shoulderblades together before you start lifting in the dorsal grip.

Also do some wrist stretches before dorsal dislocates IME.

• Like 1

FWIW - I replaced my regular dislocates with weighted dorsal grip dislocates in this week's training and really preferred them.  I think I will stick with them from now on.

I found the dorsal grip to be much better for my goal of posture correction.  Here's why: it places the majority of the effort on your posterior muscles (all the ones that are typically long and weak from bad posture) and forces a VERY active stretch on your anterior muscles (the tight ones).  Doing these I feel a massive stretch through my chest, front delts, and biceps - much more intense than the regular grip dislocates.

After performing regular grip dislocates, I always found that my posture was actually worse afterwards (rounded shoulders, tight chest, etc.).  Not so with the dorsal grip.  Anyways that's just my observations after only a week of experimenting with them so I'll have to see how it goes in the long term.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

FWIW - I replaced my regular dislocates with weighted dorsal grip dislocates in this week's training and really preferred them. I think I will stick with them from now on.

I found the dorsal grip to be much better for my goal of posture correction. Here's why: it places the majority of the effort on your posterior muscles (all the ones that are typically long and weak from bad posture) and forces a VERY active stretch on your anterior muscles (the tight ones). Doing these I feel a massive stretch through my chest, front delts, and biceps - much more intense than the regular grip dislocates.

After performing regular grip dislocates, I always found that my posture was actually worse afterwards (rounded shoulders, tight chest, etc.). Not so with the dorsal grip. Anyways that's just my observations after only a week of experimenting with them so I'll have to see how it goes in the long term.

did you ever try at least lightly weighted overgrip dislocates?

also, im interested in why the overgrip dislocates cause that type of reaction from your body. do you have yourself filmed performing them?

Bill Köhntopp

Tried dorsal grip dislocates for the first time, first i thought: what the he...but it worked, i needed a 2x shoulder wide grip but i like it.

Dorsal feels better than the normal one, theres less touching eachother inside the shoulders B-)

With normal grip i have absolutely no chance to hold my hands in the same position through the whole movement.

• 2 months later...

can this dislocate exercise alone can help me turn my shoulders to what rhytmic gymnasts have? i.e. arms completely behind you and allsorts. My current personal record is 79cm.

• 2 weeks later...

should you do shoulder dislocates, normal and dorsal, with slight shoulder pain?

i have a slight shoulder pain problem, like very slight but hasnt gone away for a few weeks now, and was wondering if this is a good rehab exercise.  im afraid to do handstand work because of it. 

i think training for a one arm pull up did it because it never hurt till i incorporated one arm pull up negatives, the twisting while lowering is what i think did it, but dont know for sure because it didnt hurt until a few days later.

i even completely took off of every exercise i do for two weeks but it never completely healed.

thoughts?

- Fatigue, yes.  Discomfort, yes.  Pain, no.

- As you have discovered, training one arm pullups/chinups for most people is a terrible idea.  

Not because there are any inherent problems with one arm chins in and of themselves; but due to the fact that many people attempt to add it to their training long before they are even remotely physically prepared to benefit from it. 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

The same one you are already doing; but with much lower intensity and frequency.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

the only thing im doing is arm circles to warm up then front and dorsal shoulder dislocates.  one set of 10 for each dislocate as far as i can reach with my arms which makes it kinda tricky since that far apart makes my broom handle nearly hit me in the head.

it seems like this exercise doesnt hurt to do but i feel pain when i do it, if that makes sense.

Keilani Gutierrez

are you doing them in your warm up or cool down?

because i can feel a -very- distinct difference in doing them weighted if my whole body is warmed up. i can dislocate my weighted bar(11.7lb's) + weight(10.0lbs so in total its 21.7lbs) when warm and can't dislocate it sans weights without warming up, to give you a structured example.

plus if you have pesky tight pec muscles, doing the arm circles as you are doing are a good solution + adding in an active pec stretch a la kit laughlin(i'll see if i can find you a link) and once you get nice and warm/limber, bust out the reps and be mindful of how aggressive you're being with it. if you run the risk of dislocation, you should move forward gingerly until you know your working limits.

kind of like walking passed a "caution: wet floor" sign, when you first see it, you become aware, assess how you can move forward and be mindful of your steps until you can resume walking normally

• Upvote 2

i do arm circles to warm up.

not sure if my pecs are tight but stretching them couldnt hurt.  if you can find that link ill try them out.

i dont go aggressive, one set of ten both ways, and i try to do them very controlled for strict form both ways as best i can.

Bill Köhntopp

my neck(trapezius) gets crampy also doing just arm cycles...someone a tip? need i to stretch than or what can be the prob here? 

two more questions about shoulder dislocates.

1. are you supposed to touch your body or be able to touch your body on each side of the move?

2. do you hands need to be completely wrapped around the object on each side of the move or can the outer fingers release some?

two more questions about shoulder dislocates.

1. are you supposed to touch your body or be able to touch your body on each side of the move?

2. do you hands need to be completely wrapped around the object on each side of the move or can the outer fingers release some?

1. Ultimately, yes. However if you don't have the shoulder mobility at the moment. Do the best that you can.

2. Do your best to keep all of your fingers wrapped around the object. 

my neck(trapezius) gets crampy also doing just arm cycles...someone a tip? need i to stretch than or what can be the prob here? 

Possible solution: 1. Don't squeeze/flex the muscle when doing the arm circles.

1. Ultimately, yes. However if you don't have the shoulder mobility at the moment. Do the best that you can.

2. Do your best to keep all of your fingers wrapped around the object. 

thanks.  what i do now is wrap my thumb and index around the pole and pivot when i go from front to back and vice versa, seems to work good.

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic