Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez

idk about an uninjured shoulder but mine certainly dont like the elastic resistance of a band for dislocates.

ymmv on this one, im thinking.

Would a stretch band suffice if I can't do it with a bar yet?

This is far and away easier. Good for warmup but move to a bar asap :) Much more discussion in handstand one forum

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
Goncalo Garcia

What are the advantages and disadvantes of doing a dislocate without elevating the shoulders?

Coach Sommer
4 hours ago, Goncalo Garcia said:

What are the advantages and disadvantes of doing a dislocate without elevating the shoulders?

There aren't any advantages; unless you are a big fan of bone grinding on bone.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 11

• 4 months later...

Hey Coach.

I'm doing this exercise with a stick. But whatever grip width i'm trying, even as wide as i can, still several clicking occurs, mostly in my right shoulder. I'm doing it very slow and careful. And i'm not experiencing pain. What should i do?

1 hour ago, Florian Nagel said:

Hey Coach.

I'm doing this exercise with a stick. But whatever grip width i'm trying, even as wide as i can, still several clicking occurs, mostly in my right shoulder. I'm doing it very slow and careful. And i'm not experiencing pain. What should i do?

You probably need to drop back to the previous mobility element to prepare you for it. Aside from that you might need more of a warm up for the shoulders first. I'm assuming you're using double shoulder width grip

• Upvote 1

Francesco Pudda

I have joints laxity and my physiotherapist told me that it's normal to hear some click, even in simple movements. This is the reason why he has suggested me to always warm up joints well, with circles or whatsoever, and keep the amplitude low so that I shouldn't hear any sound. I feel some improvement now.

Anyway even after a full workout, with shoulders fully warmed-up, I feel some *little* clicks/pops/whatever, during dislocates and some other exercises. I can perform non-weighted dislocates at 1,5/2x shoulder width, and even if I try them out with 3x width, so practically with no effort, I feel some minimum sound. I perform them slow, controlled and very wide but clicking is always there, very low but non-zero.

I've been told that this is because of my laxity, so should I keep them in my workout?

Alessandro Mainente

Usually people with joint laxity must have an accurate diagnosis because in the most cases they should not perform mobility in the joint where laxity it is presented.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2011 at 2:19 AM, Ian Legrow said:

hHey there!

Just a quick question. I can do shoulder dislocates on a yard stick fairly easily in the pull up grip. But when doing the dorsal grip, i need a longer belt. Why is this?

Same here. With dorsal grip I have to hold the dowel 2-3x as wide as in a pull up grip. So there's very little overhead(vertical) shoulder rotation happening, it's almost a horiontal rotation, maybe at a 30degree angle. 
I also get an intense stretch on my wrists and the outside of the elbow/forearm, the shoulders not so much. 
What about dorsal push ups? Will they help to work mobility? 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Bas,

Good question! As you have noticed, the dorsal grip incorporates a lot more wrist flexibility on this exercise. As your wrists get more flexible and you are able to bring the hands closer together, you will fell your dislocates more in the shoulders. The wrist exercises in the handstand course are great for addressing this weakness in mobility.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 10:53 AM, Ronnicky Roy said:

You probably need to drop back to the previous mobility element to prepare you for it.

what is the previous step to using a stick?

1 hour ago, V3nom said:

what is the previous step to using a stick?

A belt or rope or even a flexband. But moving to a dowel asap is best, even if you need to hold it rather wide.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:59 AM, Bas Albinus said:

A belt or rope or even a flexband. But moving to a dowel asap is best, even if you need to hold it rather wide.

what if theres still clicking at your widest grip, stick or rope?

Alessandro Mainente

Rope gives less constraint on the grip. Please if you have this problem looking for different equipment does not represent a good substitute for a good progression.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak
12 hours ago, V3nom said:

what if theres still clicking at your widest grip, stick or rope?

You need to seperate the movement and stretch for shoulder flexion and shoulder retraction. Obviously you have restrictions in movement since you cannot perform it properly.

Morgan Backteman

Been doing these with a resistance band as warmup for my workouts, my shoulders are still a bit too tight for using a bar or stick i believe as i kinda have to let go with the outer fingers when i get behind my back.

Should i stick to the resistance band until i get better ROM and then move to a bar?

Everett Carroll

Hey Morgan,

Do you own the handstand one course? The early mobility progressions from H1 properly prepare your shoulders for a closed grip, weighted bar dislocate. The safest solution is to step back in difficulty and master the prerequisites for this mobility.

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2016 at 3:15 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Morgan,

Do you own the handstand one course? The early mobility progressions from H1 properly prepare your shoulders for a closed grip, weighted bar dislocate. The safest solution is to step back in difficulty and master the prerequisites for this mobility.

what if you dont own H1?  can you share help with this without giving away paid information?  not trying to get around the system here just cant afford his workout plans is all.

Everett Carroll

The best way to work on prepare for and then progress through dislocate variations is in the H1 course. The shoulder flexion and extension exercises discussed above are a good way to help with them until you are able to begin H1.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
Anthony Sgard

Hi, I d like to get your advise on my shoulder conditions. My shoulders are actually very lax/mobile although I did not have any luxation. Apparently my front ligaments are too loose to keep the shoulder stable. Despite fysiotherapist advise, I cannot really train my shoulders on the long run without feeling some pain in the front of the shoulder few hours after the workouts. I assume it is due a recurrent bad position of my humerus  into the socket . I do a lot of external rotation movements, pec stretching, rotator cuff strengthening etc ..but I am still struggling with this issue from time to time. I kept on doing shoulder extension and wrist extension which help me for my arm workout.  overhead movements clearly lead to more issues. I stopped pullups and the GB exercices for some months because it feels too difficult to train without triggering some pain. My fysiotherapist looks out of new ideas nowadays. I d like to get your views on my issue. Which exercices would you advise me to do or to skip ?  cheers

Pauline Taube

Hi Anthony,

I reccomend to listen carefully to your physio. When training be careful and only to what feels good, whenever you feel any kind of pain, stop immediately. We can not advice you on what exercises to do behind a monitor when dealing with conditions like this.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Sgard

Hi Pauline, I am already applying this "non-pain" rule but most of the time I feel the pain few hrs or sometimes the day after.  I understand that you cannot give medical advise and that is not what I am expecting. But I was hoping to get more clear guidelines.  My conditions is not that bad but it is frustrating not to have a clear action plan in order to solve the problem...  cheers

Alessandro Mainente

Excuse me Anthony, pain in the shoulders usually it is due to not natural movement of the bones, when this happens there is a sign of compensation or range on motion limitation. your physio should be able to understand what limitations occur in your case. that's the point.

• Upvote 1

Anthony Sgard

Hi, I understand that pain is not normal (-;  but I cannot pinpoint the exact root cause most of the time. My range of motion is very good ( too good they say) in external and internal rotations: if I do the sleeper stretch I can do almost 180 degrees in and out with both sides.  Some say that it is due to my posture - I am a desk worker. I do a lot of external rotation, rotator cuff exercices.

So in other words, to rephrase my initial questions, what would be a workout program to help balancing/strengthening the shoulder muscles ?

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic