Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Support Holds

Noob

As i have stated in other threads, I am very new to the world of gymnastics, and I am having great difficulty in mastering the basics. I have started training with my rings, roughly every second day. I include pushups, pullups, and I am also training to do an L-sit on the PB. I have recently decided to include Support Holds in my training, but the problem is that I am not strong enough to even hold myself up for 5 seconds on the rings :cry: Are there any exercises that can help me develope the necessary strength needed to perform this simple element?

but the problem is that I am not strong enough to even hold myself up for 5 seconds on the rings

5 second sets of support holds will work just fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

I understand your problem, before the summer of '08 I could barely hold myself up for 10 seconds. A support however should develop rather quickly, just make sure your rings are turned out correctly when in the support.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Guest Valentin

Hi

Alternatively you can use a bit of bungee or therabands to help you build up your time in support.

The biggest problem i find with people who start working supports is the balance, lockout (of elbows) and keeping the rings close. If you tie the rings together with a bit of theraband (have it just taunt enough that it will have give but not excessively..you can always adjust this as you improve) you will find that you can pretty much do the exercises for longer, and have more of a chance to work on all the aspects of the support. Soon after you can get rid of the theraband and you will be able to hold it quite easily.

I have done this with adult classes where girls/women, have been able to learn a support hold of 10-20sec after in 9weeks program. Most start off not even being able to jump and support for even a second.

All the best.

Hi

Alternatively you can use a bit of bungee or therabands to help you build up your time in support.

The biggest problem i find with people who start working supports is the balance, lockout (of elbows) and keeping the rings close. If you tie the rings together with a bit of theraband (have it just taunt enough that it will have give but not excessively..you can always adjust this as you improve) you will find that you can pretty much do the exercises for longer, and have more of a chance to work on all the aspects of the support. Soon after you can get rid of the theraband and you will be able to hold it quite easily.

I have done this with adult classes where girls/women, have been able to learn a support hold of 10-20sec after in 9weeks program. Most start off not even being able to jump and support for even a second.

All the best.

Wow, what an awesome idea, im definitely going to have to give that a try. Thanks

• 2 months later...

As Mathew said, the support should develp quite quickly, I never trained for it secyficily, just did, as coach said ~5 second holds during routines, and I'm able to perform a 15-20sec straight arms strait body rings turned out, anyhow, what I wanted to say is that you may also decrease the difficulty of the support by decreasing the length of the straps which makes the rings more stabile which makes the support easier,

cheers and good luck with your training

Chris

Julian Aldag

If you can only do about 5sec than thats fine. The small stabilizer muscles aren't used to the instability of the rings. You will find the body learns quickly and with practice it shouldn't take long for you improve your time.

Try 10 reps of your 5sec hold with 10-30sec rest in between.

Let us know how you progress :)

• 2 months later...
Hayden Whealing
If you can only do about 5sec than thats fine. The small stabilizer muscles aren't used to the instability of the rings. You will find the body learns quickly and with practice it shouldn't take long for you improve your time.

Try 10 reps of your 5sec hold with 10-30sec rest in between.

Let us know how you progress :)

I think I might try this method or something similar to improve my support hold. Just set up my rings today and realised how hard rings make the simplist exercises :!: my best support hold is only 5 to 10 seconds

Hi guys, I'm currently doing 5 reps of 30s hold. I'll like to know how can I improve on this or should I start trying out other stuff?

Coach Sommer

How is the quality of your holds? Are the elbows completely locked? Are the rings turned out? Are you feeling pressure in the bottom of the bicep during your support? If you are not performing all of the elements of a support hold correctly, you are short changing your long term ring strength development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

the elbows are completely locked with the rings turned out 45 degrees. definitely feeling it in my biceps and my pecs but not so much in my shoulders, I've try pushing the upwards to squeeze the deltoids, not sure if that's the right way. The good news is that I'm shaking a lot lesser as compared to when I first started out

David Picó García

30 secs of support is a lot, so simply start to move away your arms from torso, and try that your forearms don't touch the straps. Also you can try to do a tuck planche, from support simply start to elevate your glutes and legs while mantaining locked elbows. You'll see this a different story.

Coach Sommer
30 secs of support is a lot

I agree. I would reduce the duration of your support holds to 15 seconds and then focus on first increasing to five very high quality sets and then progressing onward to more difficult variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alright I'll try that out, but coach I'll like to know how would you define quality? Quality=locked elbow, no shaking, rings turn outwards? Btw I'll like to say the rings really helped a lot, just a week plus of ring work, my adv planche today had increased by 5s. On the topic of planche, would you recommend getting to a solid 60s of adv b4 progressing to e next level or maybe reaching just 30s and move on?

Coach Sommer

For a quality XR support hold, in addition to the technical items you already mentioned, as a minimum the rings should also be pressed slightly outward from your sides. Marlon's support hold at the end of his MU, while of short duration, is technically a very good position.

As far as your planche training, when you are comfortable performing 5 sets of 15 seconds, I would recommend progressing onward to the next variation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Omg, his MU is so unreal, insane stuff. I think I get what you mean, will start working on that. Will post my progression on planche as well. Btw after seeing that vid, I'll like to ask about the false grip, is it just the wrist over ring so ur hanging on just ur wrist?

• 1 month later...

Now, I have some fine-tuning questions:

On the ring support, are wrists supposed to be completely straight, or bent?

Also, when turning the rings outward, there is a tendency for the xtreme rings or the strap to touch the back of the wrists. Is this unavoidable, or is this cheating? Some adjustment in grip and wrist angle can be made to avoid this...

On the ring support, are wrists supposed to be completely straight, or bent?

The wrists should be bent.

Also, when turning the rings outward, there is a tendency for the xtreme rings or the strap to touch the back of the wrists. Is this unavoidable, or is this cheating? Some adjustment in grip and wrist angle can be made to avoid this...

The bent wrists will also take care of the straps touching the arms.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer