Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tuck Handstand Training

Oliver Bjerregaard

Oliver Bjerregaard

Hello good people! 

Here is a short video of me doing the tuck handstand. Lately, i've been trying to improve and advance the handstand variation. It's quite hard for the upper back and the shoulders.
I was wondering, if there is ANY risk that my shoulders will snap or if i risk shoulder injury by pushing myself back (like i'm doing in this video). I really feel this movement is efficient for my shoulder mobility, stability and shoulder/upperback strength! 

I do shoulder rehab :)

Anyway, critique and comments are warmly welcome. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbyyy0B24g 

• Upvote 1

Mikael Kristiansen

Your tuck is good. Upper back and shoulders is what should be feeling the pressure. There isnt any significant risks of injury there unless you feel pain/serious discomfort in the position. Its pretty demanding on the scapula to open that far and move the head out. How is your straight handstand? The next level for you is moving the legs from straight to tucked while looking up, as well as doing the same in pike. Press handstands will come quickly for you with good form if keep this up(if you are not already able to)

yuri marmerstein

Great shoulder mobility!

The important part is to keep the shoulders engaged when you go past 180 degrees like that.  

Plus everything Mikael said

Oliver Bjerregaard

Your tuck is good. Upper back and shoulders is what should be feeling the pressure. There isnt any significant risks of injury there unless you feel pain/serious discomfort in the position. Its pretty demanding on the scapula to open that far and move the head out. How is your straight handstand? The next level for you is moving the legs from straight to tucked while looking up, as well as doing the same in pike. Press handstands will come quickly for you with good form if keep this up(if you are not already able to)

Thank you for the reply! I am able to do press handstands. My straight handstand is solid and my shoulders are very open. Yeah, it's very demanding on the scapula area!  :) I did not feel any discomfort, but i really felt the pressure on the upperback and my shoulders. It was a lot of pressure! I really enjoyed the exercise!