Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you all think about this workout I found?

CJWebb92

So I did some snooping for some articles about Gymnastics just cuz I love the sport and I found a 20-30 set workout that made a whole lot of sense to me about Gymnastics strength training, what do you guys think?

found this on BB.com by the way

Pushups (Close and Wide Hand Positions)

The F1 promotion trolls are ever present. Well my bro is an ex gymnast and approved of this workout himself citing all of these exercises besides two were FBE since 2 involve the use of weights. These forums aren't too interesting anymore since people can ask questions like "my mom threatened to kick me out of the house since I do gymnastics, what should I do?" Almost inevitably someone will respond "F1 Bro all the way"

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Okay, so how do you make it progressive.  What do you do when these exercises become too easy, or if they are too hard for you?

The F1 promotion trolls are ever present. Well my bro is an ex gymnast and approved of this workout himself citing all of these exercises besides two were FBE since 2 involve the use of weights. These forums aren't too interesting anymore since people can ask questions like "my mom threatened to kick me out of the house since I do gymnastics, what should I do?" Almost inevitably someone will respond "F1 Bro all the way"

We have five years worth of free material and articles. In this respect, the forum search function is your friend.  It'll be difficult, however, for anyone to give you useful answers without some specific goals. Can you fill us in on what you're training for?

I agree with this somewhat. Basically almost every thread has F1 recommendations and there really isn't much talk about anything outside of that.

However, this workout is pretty bad. If you want to create a good program for yourself, search around on the forum. There's plenty of information to get you started.

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm not much of help due to inexperience working with most, if not all segments of exercise but before foundation, I followed this "map" to find where to put my focus

upper body:

horizontal press> downward press> inverted press

horizontal pull> downward pull > inverted pull

core:

lower back

abdominals

obliques

lower body:

squats

lunges

hamstring curls

calve raises

kicks(i mention kicks since i was doing 3 day training at a time, i'd give myself one rest day to actively work on the mechanics of three kicks: front, side, round house. nothing special, just breaking it down into sections)

this isnt exactly what i did everyday, if i was doing abs one day, i wasnt doing obliques. if i was doing squats, no calve raises. i did pair press/pull together since i was doing rehab for my shoulder.

you can also look into killroys template or go ahead and get the progressions from BtGB.

aside from from that, search function.

• Upvote 1

So you come here asking about GST, dismiss the program Coach has spent decades refining, and post something that in terms of GST will get you nowhere?

Hmmm....

The reason F1 is recommended is because it gets results, not because we're here just for the sake of endorsing it. 

But if not, you've got 5 years worth of content. You can put together some okay stuff (e.g. Kilroy) with BtGB and some good reading, or you could do the old WODs. 

Keilani Gutierrez

So you come here asking about GST, dismiss the program Coach has spent decades refining, and post something that in terms of GST will get you nowhere?

Hmmm....

The reason F1 is recommended is because it gets results, not because we're here just for the sake of endorsing it. 

But if not, you've got 5 years worth of content. You can put together some okay stuff (e.g. Kilroy) with BtGB and some good reading, or you could do the old WODs. 

he's refering more to the non-personal way some of us (I've done this before, as well) have just recommended F1 and really explain why. regardless, if you want a Front Lever, this is the place to come to right? it just so happens to be part of the F program. 

let's leave it at that

Not a good workout at all. BB.com is generally not a good source of information.

Pushups, plyo kettlebell pushups, and dips are all redundant. These are all horizontal pushing movements, you only need one.

Lateral raises is not a good exercise, it puts too much stress on your cervical spine if you aren't prepared for it.

Out of the entire program, 3 exercises are upper body pushing, and only 1 is upper body pulling (chin-ups). That is a huge muscular imbalance problem right there.

Squat jumps, long jumps, stepups are all redundant. You only need one. You can modify these 3 to either be hip dominant or knee dominant, but at this point, it'll be too confusing for you.

Connor Davies

Not a good workout at all. BB.com is generally not a good source of information.

Pushups, plyo kettlebell pushups, and dips are all redundant. These are all horizontal pushing movements, you only need one.

Lateral raises is not a good exercise, it puts too much stress on your cervical spine if you aren't prepared for it.

Out of the entire program, 3 exercises are upper body pushing, and only 1 is upper body pulling (chin-ups). That is a huge muscular imbalance problem right there.

Squat jumps, long jumps, stepups are all redundant. You only need one. You can modify these 3 to either be hip dominant or knee dominant, but at this point, it'll be too confusing for you.

Pretty much spot on.  No horizontal pulling in that program, no vertical pushing.... Sound like the perfect program to create a shoulder impingement.

We have five years worth of free material and articles. In this respect, the forum search function is your friend.  It'll be difficult, however, for anyone to give you useful answers without some specific goals. Can you fill us in on what you're training for?

You have some free material, articles, advice.  Since you bifurcated the forum into paid and non-paid areas there has been a marked decrease in useful programming information and sharing.  I can only imagine that first time visitors to GB are not getting the robust responses to their questions that they used to get 2+ years ago.  It is noticible.  

Connor Davies

Well my bro is an ex gymnast and approved of this workout himself citing all of these exercises besides two were FBE since 2 involve the use of weights.

I find this hard to believe.  The main problem with the workout that you've posted is that it doesn't help you accomplish any actual gymnastic skills.  There's no isometric work, no progression for the fundamental static positions.  This workout would not help you become an actual gymnast.  Now I'm not saying F1 will, but if you have skills like muscleup, planche, front lever you can at least put together a simple ring routine.

I'm not denying the value of your workout you posted.  But you seem to have come on this forum just to post some workout you either created or found and to stir up shit.  Why?

Marios Roussos

You have some free material, articles, advice.  Since you bifurcated the forum into paid and non-paid areas there has been a marked decrease in useful programming information and sharing.  I can only imagine that first time visitors to GB are not getting the robust responses to their questions that they used to get 2+ years ago.  It is noticible.  

I believe that a lot of this has to do with the fact that many of us now realize just how inadequate those responses from 2 years ago were. I had developed several versions of my own original programming based on BTGB, which I followed off and on for a few years, and would have been happy sharing it with anyone back then. Having worked with F1 and H1 since February though, I now realize just how inadequate my own programming was, and finally understand why I could never keep up with my workouts for more than three months at a time. I therefore feel silly giving people suboptimal programming advice that had marginal benefits when I'm now following a National Team coach's program word for word which I believe to be orders of magnitude better than anything I can come up with.

• Upvote 5

I therefore feel silly giving people suboptimal programming advice that had marginal benefits when I'm now following a National Team coach's program word for word which I believe to be orders of magnitude better than anything I can come up with.

This is me too. Sure, I share what I know, but what I know from the past ten years of trial and error training is not spending substantial time working with top level gymnasts. Very few people in the world can say otherwise, and those aren't likely to be writing products for beginners.

Riku Calderón

Sorry if my humor wasent for you! Nothing personal. I just find myself hilarious at times :D

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

Well my bro is an ex gymnast and approved of this workout 

This means nothing... especially considering you didn't tell us his level (not that it truly changes anything).

Also, look up the definition of the word troll (in the internet context). You've misused it here.

Why do you both posting a crappy workout, saying your ex gymnast brother thinks it's good, insulting the people who direct others to the single best training guide they could ask for? I'm not sure if you're joking or actually trolling us to be completely honest. It's not even a real workout. There aren't even reps listed and there is a distinct lack of any static positions that are essential to GST. In fact, if you can look at this and wonder "is this an good workout?" then sorry to do this, but I recommend you pick up a copy of F1 as soon as possible to correct your idea of what a good workout should look like.

You have some free material, articles, advice.  Since you bifurcated the forum into paid and non-paid areas there has been a marked decrease in useful programming information and sharing.  I can only imagine that first time visitors to GB are not getting the robust responses to their questions that they used to get 2+ years ago.  It is noticible.  

The significant decrease in programming information and sharing has decreased because the amount of weak and generally incorrect speculation and guessing has also significantly decreased. The fact is, the F1 is the place to start. New people get directed there to spare them from wasting years of misguided and suboptimal training and injuries that so many of us have had.
  • Upvote 5

Vincent Stoyas
<p>

... made a whole lot of sense to me about Gymnastics strength training...

And what credentials do you have about knowledge of GST that allows you support this workout and demean the recommendations from others on this board? Troll.

• Upvote 1

Okay, so how do you make it progressive.  What do you do when these exercises become too easy, or if they are too hard for you?

I wasn't so concerned with future progress since I'm yielding up to 3 years worth of gymnastics, this was more of a "so what do you guys think if this circuit" sort of thing. I can do pistols in my sleep, so I'm not too stressed out by something like dumbbell step ups, I should have said

"I'm trying to get a good circuit going so what so you think about these exercises?!" I should have mentioned my gymnastics background as to stave off the F1 product placement trolls.

Joshua Slocum

We are the F1Borg. Prepare to be assimilated. We will subsume your programming and scheduling with our own. Resistance is futile :P

In all seriousness, if you want real help, you need to provide more information. What are your currently levels of strength? Of mobility? What are you hoping to achieve with your workout? What is your long-term plan? We can't do much other than say "get F1" unless you give us a lot more information.

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) I found a 20-30 set workout that made a whole lot of sense to me about Gymnastics strength training

Looks like a great routine to me, lots of research and potential. You are well on your way with this. :)

(...) my bro is an ex gymnast and approved of this workout himself  (...) inevitably someone will respond "F1 Bro all the way"

Nope, obviously Foundation is not for you, listen to your brother, he knows best! :)

Thank you for dropping by!

• Upvote 5

Wrt the advice on the forums having changed over the years, it's largely due to the amount of confusion it was causing. People without a solid background in GST were reading and posting on issues that were well beyond their pay grade and as a result, spinning their wheels, and giving novice trainees too much too think about, not enough to do.

Could we strike a better balance and not just dismiss questions with 'buy F1'. Perhaps, and we will look at it, but at the moment we need a solid core of people who understand what Coach's system is and why it works, that has to be the main goal for the time being.

Matthew Proulx

Whoa, I didn't know all Canadians were gymnasts!

I mean the 'basic routine' cjwebb92 posted