Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic Ring Strength Development

Coach Sommer

Ring%20Work%20Yields%20Superior%20Results.jpg

The Xtreme Rings will move anywhere & anytime within 360 degrees. And to make it even more interesting, the direction they will move will always be toward your weakest area. Hence adequately preparing your stabilizer muscles for the rigors of ring strength training is of supreme importance for future ring strength gains. It is interesting to note that L-sits, straddle Ls, press handstands, planches and iron crosses all begin from one common prerequisite; the support hold.

Basically a support hold is simply holding yourself up on the rings with straight arms. While at first you will probably just be happy to hold yourself above the rings without falling off, eventually, to perform these in the most productive manner, they should be done with elbows straight (remember that almost straight is still bent) and the hands turned out to 45 degrees. To visualize this, simply put your hands overhead in a chinup grip and, keeping that grip position, lower your hands to your side and then let them turn in slightly.

The Easiest Ring Strength Series

For beginning ring strength development, I recommend focusing on only three elements; support holds, front levers, and back levers. Focusing on mastery with these three elements will yield substantial ring strength dividends in the future. Conversely, failure to solidly develop these elements will undercut all of your future ring strength development.

Once reasonable proficiency is achieved in support holds, then dips may be added to the series which in turn progress to muscle ups which progress to forward roll muscle ups which progress to press shoulderstands which progress to forward roll to press shoulderstands etc etc etc.

Ring work is quite challenging, a great deal of fun and has the potential to build superior levels of strength and muscle. However to realize this potential, your training must be approached intelligently and implemented with the proper progressions. It is important to always remember that all of the more advanced ring strength variations begin from a mastery of the support hold. Taking the time now to adequately develop your support hold will pay enormous strength dividends in the future.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Garrett Smith
Once reasonable proficiency is achieved in support holds, then dips may be added to the series which in turn progress to muscle ups which progress to forward roll muscle ups which progress to press shoulderstands which progress to forward roll to press shoulderstands etc etc etc.

Any videos of the bolded progressions would be greatly appreciated... :D

I notice in the picture his palms are facing forward. Should we try holds with palms facing all directions, or is that the best way for future development?

Edit: Ack I just reread what you said. I guess I'm just wondering if we should try other things as well.

I think I've been working on skills that are too hard for me, I can't even to a full back or front lever and I'm already trying Ironcross and planche.

I've noticed that since I started training more basic moves (muscle-ups, handstands, front and back lever.) my strength is getting better for other things too.

Richard Duelley
I think I've been working on skills that are too hard for me, I can't even to a full back or front lever and I'm already trying Ironcross and planche.

I've noticed that since I started training more basic moves (muscle-ups, handstands, front and back lever.) my strength is getting better for other things too.

Same with me except I just dropped L-sit, and straddle-L work completely so I could focus heavily on front and back levers (I cant handle doing all of them at the same time) and I have made substantial gains in just about every aspect of my training just by putting more time into my back/front levers. That includes gains in L-sit and straddle-L without actually working them. I really love the crossover from front and back lever strength!

Iron cross and planche are for non competitors-recreation guy top skills (usually) and some of them already dream (without solid basic skills) for some crazy competitive stuff, wich is not easy for competitors (or at least not the easiest exercise),....

Same with me except I just dropped L-sit, and straddle-L work completely so I could focus heavily on front and back levers (I cant handle doing all of them at the same time) and I have made substantial gains in just about every aspect of my training just by putting more time into my back front levers. That includes gains in L-sit and straddle-L without actually working them. I really love the crossover from front and back lever strength!

In seven days per week, you can do alot exercises. Like coach said - most people are not over-trained, but simply detrained. To reach burnout you must work really hard!!!!

Hello

I think this is the key for understanding the importance of the rings: They will move always to your weakest point! :D:( :shock: :evil: :wink:

Thank you for the consequent developing advices . I am starting with the ring-training. Support holds are well, forward lever comes to the position with one leg straight, back lever is not going well, only the holding of the end of the skin the cat position.

There I have to work most.

A very demanding form of pushups are the ring pushups as they are shown in the ring-strength dvd from jordan jovtechev. The crossfitter have some interesting variations from nicole caroll in the videoclip "playing with ring-pushups" (chapter exercises and demos).

I have the luck to be also owner of real parallel bars! :D So I am always looking for a good connection between rings and parallel bars. At the moment the russian dips are my challenge. The idea that you have there a wonderful training for the tansition of the muscle-up is great!!!

Has anyone of you an idea of a good conditioning training that includes both, rings and parallel bars?

I am in the age of 51 really happy to start the exploration of these movements! :D 8) :roll:

Mario

Mario, that is really cool that you own your own set of PB. Swing to HS, presses to HS ( or shoulderstand ), L sit besides other stuff are good idea. You can also practice forward and rear swinging dips and dipping on both sides back and forth ( eventually after swinging to HS ).

Take a look at drillsandskills.com for some basic skills on PB like glide or long hang kip, swinging in upper arm to uprise in front or back, etc.

Honestly, imo, until you have both front and back lever down, there is no necessity to work Iron Cross. If you are, you are simply just playing around which is fine and all, but not really conducive to ring training. If it's just somebody recreational playing on rings, I don't really care. Besides getting both levers, a solid support should be done to at least 45 degrees before using some sort of ring training device besides a lot of dip strength or bulgarian dips, etc. The ability to do a backward roll to support should probably be attained before IC since it requires a fair amount of dip strength.

I have a basic question: What is the logic behind the recommendation for turning the hands out 45 degrees during the support hold?

Thanks.

Coach,

I am currently following a steady state for basic strength and it is coming along nicely and I was thinking whilst waiting for the other books to come out, if I wanted to insert a ring strength series into my next steady state would it just remain the same for 8-12 weeks in the same way as basic strength?

P.S: A general question: In the book it often says to adjust as you get stronger (for example execute an exercise slower) but should these adjustments be saved for the next steady state cycle or done as soon as possible?

Thanks.

If you are utilizing a Steady State cycle, all should remain constant for the duration of the cycle.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Im thinkin about buying the XR to start a lil bit ring training and to have somewhere i can do the pulling training whenever I want, my question is if XR will be too heavy for a ring newbye like me, thanks

matthew.percussion

Rings are great for any level of fitness. In fact, I was terrible out of shape when I got my rings but, with the help of Coach Sommer and my coach at the gym my strength has skyrocketed.

They are a great addition to anyone's home/professional gym.